1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought Deadspin did a great job, except for the 80 percent thing that they seem to be holding onto for dear life. But yeah, ESPN. Oy. Not a good look.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reportedly, Deadspin's story had more inaccuracies than Pete Thamel's Sports Illustrated piece. Reportedly.

3. "Lennay" in what Te'o said is a photo that was sent to hm last month.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Wait. Is that the "time stamp" picture he asked for? Not like she should hold up a newspaper or anything?

What the fuck??

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So I could hold up a picture of myself that read:

Care Bear
    MSMK
    April 27, 1885

And Te'o would believe it?

6. Dick Whitman

Well, he asked her for a time stamp for that day, correct?

That doesn't bother me, really.

She still had to write something specific on the paper that he asked for.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

OK, you're probably right, Dick. I'm not as aware of the details of this part of the story. Although, if they called him in advance and anticipated the question, they could have done it whenever. But that's probably giving the perpetrators way too much credit.

It does, however, put that chick right in the middle of this whole scheme. Is that correct? And hasn't she said her photos were used without her consent? No, wait, I guess she said she posed for photos without really understanding why. So that could have happened again in this instance.

Whatever. What the fuck.

8. Dick Whitman

My sentiment exactly. At this point, I'm ready to just stop following it. At least for a few days. I'm completely drawn in my all the how-the-sausage-is-made media reporting inside baseball stuff, but this one-upsmanship at the expense of anything resembling context and accuracy is out of hand at this point.

9. Are you with Marty McFly?

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So how does this impact that girl's claim that she was just an innocent who had her pics swiped?

So she just happened to have a pic of her holding the date on her facebook page at the same time Manti asked for a pic with date proof? That's one remarkable coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. The photo wasn't sent the same day Te'o asked for it.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

OK, that was my initial thought.

So he finds out his "girlfriend" faked her own death and asks for some sort of proof and he gets sent that photo with the moronic hand gesture and dipshit smile? "Hey, look at me! I'm cancer free and alive as can be!"

This is so dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted