1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. RickStain needs to chime in.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And they claim MSMK is Lennay's intials? Maybe I'm missing something about her religion/nationality that would explain that?

ESPN has reported that Tuiasasopo had two cousins (one male, one female) who all participated in the calls. Tuiasasopo also tried out for the X Factor or one of those shows, so maybe he could impersonate a female's voice. Hard to beleive if Teo was speaking to all three at different times, then he wouldn't hear a difference. Unless the female posed as Lennay, and the other cousins just filled in as brothers/cousins/etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

CareBear nailed it.

This is so dumb.

I mean....goddamn.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I feel completely duped for having followed this bullshit story for over one week, or however long it's been. The people involved, the handling of it, the Friday night theatrics, the phone records we shouldn't even be discussing because they're not verified, an investigation done by a university that could have been conducted by a colony of horny prairie dogs, and an overall sense that the various people pulling the strings in all of this think the rest of us are total imbeciles. Maybe we are. This is a joke. I suggest we all go home.

Until the next update.

Maybe I just have a bad headache and need to go away for a while.

Ugh.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

#POY2013

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would.

7. Eight-hour phone calls is BS, though, if the spreadsheet is an accurate reflection of the real phone record.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wish all the central perpetrators would just go fuck a donut.

And maybe catch something from it.

Anyway, here is wishing some totally bad karma comes to those deserving folks involved in this. If that bad karma turns out to be death, well, fine. The world needs less assholes and idiots.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fuck a donut?

What do you catch from a donut? Sugar herpes?

::)

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Deadspin never said anything about 80 percent.

Some bozo they quoted said that.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And they used it in the story for some reason. I know Deadspin didn't just make it up. It was a quote, yes. From some bozo, yes. Exactly.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Took it as a throwaway line from some dude. Never put much veracity to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted