1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So now you're equating Te'o and Ray Lewis in terms of fame hogging? Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It could happen to anybody.

http://youtu.be/c45YQkomumw

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And in today's as Teo turns news voice back to being female according to the NYP:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/revealed_the_real_voice_of_fake_GfkurlQYJF0ZA6zzYtJmWI

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm stunned that Deadspin would allow something to run on the site that makes Te'o look like a sympathetic figure. But hey, props.

http://deadspin.com/5978653/all-football-players-are-suckers-a-former-nfl-no+namer-on-his-lennay-kekua-moment#13591170317883&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1696}

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If that's really a dude, then day-um, he sure sounds like a girl.

Ho-lee shit. Anybody would be fooled.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I still think by the time this is finished, Te'o will be as gay as Ellen Degeneres.

7. Boom_70

If I heard the clip correctly yesterday in Couric interview Teo said that the first time that he realized that he had been had was when everyone found out on 1/16 from Deadspin story.

If correct this would not jive with what Jack Swarbrick said in his presser.

Nothing adds up in this whole story. The general public is now being played.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't followed this as breathlessly as most (haven't heard or seen either Te'o interview, for example), but my understanding is when "Lennay" contacted him in December, she didn't say she was fake, just that she wasn't really dead, no? In fact, weren't they still running that line on Te'o when they contacted him at the hotel the night before the NC game? I thought the "sister" or whoever was supposedly in the lobby asked him if he was with Lennay because they were looking for her.

If that is the case, it seems possible -- as gullible as this guy apparently is -- that until he saw the Deadspin story he still thought she was real but that she had faked her death for some reason that he hadn't yet figured out. Perhaps it wasn't until then that he realized for sure that Lennay never existed in the first place.

9. Boom_70

If that's the case Teo must have gone to Swarbrick and told him that Lenay was alive and that's when ND started investigation and found out that it was hoax.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, no. Swarbrick said that was when he knew it was a hoax, right? Meaning her death, which he did know on Dec. 6 was a hoax.

He knew he'd been played. He just thought he'd been played by someone actually named Lennay Kekua.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

TMZ reports the man behind the scam will be on Dr. Phil.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/25/ronaiah-tuiasosopo-dr-phil-interview/

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It would be a lot cooler if Dr. Phil put him in the backseat and made him answer questions zig-zagging through traffic at 80 miles an hour.

"What were you compensating for, kid?"

Draft saved Draft deleted