1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"Tough tinsel."

I do kind of like those commercials. Even the Santa Claus one.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did anyone here mention how despicable Couric was for asking Te'o if he's gay? No? Okay.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why is it despicable?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that on draft day someone prank calls him in the green room and says they're from Kansas City and they are going to pick him number one.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seemed reasonable to me, too. That theory was out there. I respect her for actually just asking him.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. There was a lot of speculation, including by me on this very thread before we knew what the hell was going on, so it was a perfectly reasonable question. I'm glad she asked.

7. Let me try to understand something. People think Te'o is gay and used "Lennay" to cover it up. He's lied for several months, yet there are posters here who believe Te'o's answer to Couric's question and that settles the issue for them because he would never lie to Katie?

It strikes me as odd that a Katie Couric's interview would now convince those who thought he was gay that he's really straight.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't really give a shit either way, but...

- By the time she asked him, if she had been following the story, it was pretty clear he was not gay.

- Did she ask him so that he could put the "rumors" to rest?

- In general, reporters do not ask celebrities who prefer to keep their sexuality to themselves if they are gay. I'm guessing Couric has interviewed many celebs rumored to be gay, and has avoided this question.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

First, for Captain Obvious, the gay rumors surfaced very early on. At least I found it to be plausible, because I thought Te'o's relationship with Tuiasasopo was more than it ended up being. I found it conceivable that he was in a relationship with Tuiasasopo and was using the Lennay story to cover it up. As the story has developed I realize that was not the case. But many still did not believe his story and continued to think he might be gay. I think she just asked it to put the rumors to rest. But I think she knew what the answer would be and wasn't really putting him on the spot. She just gave him a chance to clear up that rumor. Whether people believe him or not is up to them. I do, because it seems he clearly thought he was talking to a woman.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The smart way to address it is to say, in advance, "I'm not going to insult you by asking you about your sexual preference, but if you wish to address the subject in any way because of unfounded rumors being spread on the Internet, just work it into the conversation wherever you think it fits. Totally up to you either way."

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they had that conversation before the interview and he knew the question was coming. I might be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is the idea that she bullied a 21-year-old kid in a way she would not a, say, 40-year-old movie or pop star?

Draft saved Draft deleted