1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think she asked the question because she knew the answer. When she's with a Hollywood celebrity, and knows that the true answer would be yes, she would not ask the question.

And, I think it's more about being politically correct -- and fearing criticism for trying to out someone -- than it is about being willing to "bully" a 21-year-old kid.

But I think there is also an understanding that if she did press a big star on an issue like this, it would likely hurt future bookings, and the cooperation of the Hollywood stars she wants access to.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just walked past a TV in the airport, Katie Couric is still talking about this. Rick Reilly one of the guests. Seriously.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

21 is in an airport and I am sitting here eating Cheetos.

I am Liza?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think The Brazilian night club fire is a big enough news story here to turnover the news cycle yet.

Only hope is a domestic disaster to move us away from Teo for now.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Was he making a dentist joke?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reilly was claiming that he broke the Teo story first on Twitter.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know this is true because Stuart Scott said so coming out of a break.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/30/dr-phil-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confused-sexual-identity/1876995/

Highlights:

* Tuiasosopo says that he was in love with Te'o and said he is gay, or, at the least, "confused."
    * He says that he was the voice of Lennay Kekua, not the other woman who had been implicated in the Post.
    * He says that Te'o had absolutely no part in the hoax.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I broke it first. I was in a bar the day after Thanksgiving and said that there's no way Te'o had a girlfriend that died, it must be a hoax. I broadcast it loudly enough that at least 10 other people in the bar heard it. Where's my Pulitzer, mother-fuckers?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5980172/ronaiah-tuiasosopo-tells-dr-phil-that-he-had-romantic-feelings-for-manti-teo#13595630882533&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1345}

Shocking what Deadspin saved for last in that post.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Still can't say I'm buying this one. The voice on the tapes sounds so unmistakably female, really hard to believe that was a man faking it. Dr. Phil should've had him do the voice on the show to see if it matches the one on the tapes.

I suspect that Post story is accurate--his cousin was a co-conspirator, but he's claiming otherwise to protect her.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Phil tried to get him to do the voice, but he wouldn't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted