1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin really stepped in it this time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by motorsportwriter, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

I thought the Deadspin hate spiraled too far out of control in the past — hate the company, sure, but treating those who came aboard as scabs or what not? In this industry, it’s an opportunity for someone to make a name and you cannot fault them for that.

With that being said, I have been thouroughly impressed with how talentless the current staff is. There is zero talent there and the product is trash. I cannot believe the people they’re putting on video and the words that are written there. Perhaps Julie DiCaro aside — I respect her work.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Carron Phillips had never found a story he couldn't turn into a racial slight.

Fdufta likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I understood both sides of the post-Deadspin I debate. The people hired were hired to replace and try to replicate people fired by the herb Jim
    Spanfeller, who wanted the Deadspin name and rep without anything that made Deadspin so memorable (good and bad) in the first place. I get why the originals were angry. But it was also their choice to leave and as you note, in this industry, it's hard to blame people for trying to hang on to any life boat. I knew some people at Deadspin II and hoped they would succeed in spite of their bosses. But yeah, this site is a trainwreck. Most of the taeks are just routine hot nonsense and none of it is very well-written. Even the biggest critics of Deadspin I would acknowledge they had terrific writers. Most of these writers are not.

Hermes and Fdufta like this.
  4. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

DiCaro might be the biggest hack of all of them. She was terrible on the radio in Chicago, all of her podcasts have failed, and then she raced into that Deadspin vacancy before the desk chairs were cold.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Before I know how to react to this, how do you feel about Leila Rahimi?

Fdufta likes this.
  7. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

I like her better than most of the other hosts there. And she's really good on TV, too.

PaperClip529 and Regan MacNeil like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Okie dokie. I don’t think DiCaro is bad on the radio, but tastes differ.

9. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Leila is very good, in her own right. Just gonna say it out loud: I respect the heck out of traditionally attractive females who don’t make it about their looks, don’t become the girl next door as social media thirst traps. Likewise, traditionally non-attractive females who succeed, which is infinitesimally more difficult.

And to a lesser degree, it happens with men, too. Whoever posted about the newscaster who said he wasn’t good looking enough, that hit me. And I’m good-looking.

Liut and Regan MacNeil like this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm not ready to call the kid or his parents racist because of this.

But ... the Chiefs say you can't wear a headdress or paint you face in Native American-style, right? Where is Daddy to tell the kid not to do that, and to not paint his face for the game?

Be a fucking parent, which includes advising your kids about not doing things that may not be a good idea, or against the rules. And I'm sorry, but no matter the motivation, to paint black paint on your face in this day of age is a bad idea.

I know he's playing the sympathy tour, and how it's too late for an apology for his son and all. But he could have prevented all this with a small dose of forethought.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Have the Chiefs said anything? The organization seems to have ignored a years old rule for fans

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The game was in Las Vegas.

Draft saved Draft deleted