1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depression, Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Anyone here ever deal with social anxiety?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Crowds, or just in general?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm lucky in that I don't have a problem with people or crowds in particular, but I HATE walking into places by myself. Especially bars. It feels like everyone's looking at me and making fun of me. And they probably are.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

nothing but sympathy. and nothing at all flip about my one-word advice:

P-A-X-I-L. 8) 8) 8)

or whatever anti-anxiety/depression med that works best for you, HH. feel free to PM me, too. you're not alone.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Paxil brings forth a double-whammy of weight gain and hair loss. Not exactly the best cocktail to be drinking.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've experienced neither and have been on paxil since '99.

if you experience such side effects, then paxil's not for you. but there are several other meds that could be. just find the right one for you. that's all i'm sayin'.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Amen to that. I'll call the people I'm meeting and ask them to come outside to meet me so I don't look like the dork walking in craning around looking for them.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A lot of times, I'll just pass on meeting people because of that. It's retarded that I'm that silly at this age.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Wicked, you're not alone.

When I started in this business, I thought I just had issues dealing with people who were older. Football coaches, in particular, intimidated me. But I still have problems. I get through interviews, but I often walk away thinking that it was a seriously awkward conversation and that the other person must think I'm nutso. Of course, I still see myself as that 22-year-old kid, too. So that doesn't help. Lately, I've come to realize that I'm actually older than some of the coaches and other folks I'm interviewing.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

As far as meds go, zoloft has been the one & only for me. That little pill is amazing & no side effects, either.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

People who know me personally ask "Given you're not outgoing, how do you talk to all these people?"

It was easy. It was my job, the source and I usually need one another and, for some reason, I can put my shyness and loner tendencies aside for this for the right reasons, not just because it was/could again be my livelihood.

Now ask me to do the same with women with anything on the line and I wouldn't do so much as step toward her, much less say anything or be able to say the right thing(s). It absolutely obliterates me socially.

I was on antidepressants a few years back, but didn't care for side effects. My intensity - and I don't ever lack in that department - can get the best of me, but I found that I really need that edge. I was probably much more likeable and easy to get along while taking that stuff, but I can't exist with that "I don't care about anything" outlook.

I can only hope that makes sense. I'll bet it doesn't when my family acts up or some editor fabricates a line or two of BS that doesn't sit well with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.