1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depression, Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Seeing her on Wednesday.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm sitting at my laptop, physically and mentally exhausted, listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" for who-knows-how long.

I can't remember the last time I smiled or laughed. And all I want to do is sleep.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My bouts with depression are pretty mild compared to what a lot of others have to go through, but I find that physical activity is really the only thing that can reliably pull me out of a tailspin. This is a perfect time of year for people who don't work out to join a health club because health clubs across the country are filled with noobs trying to sweat away their holiday excesses. The out-of-shape outnumber the chiseled, so it's an opportunity to be in a weight room without feeling like such a looser.

HB, I highly recommend tai chi. It's not difficult and it's a martial art in name only...really it's just a series of graceful moves. Very good for mind and body. And unlike yoga, it's very accessible for someone who's not in great shape. Plus you don't have to worry about hooking up with any goofy, psuedo-religious group since that problem is much less common in tai chi than it is in yoga. Like I said, it's quite the tonic for the whole being. It's one of the things I miss most about urban life, as here in BFE there's no tai chi class that matches my schedule. Back when I took lessons, after a class I always felt physically energized but relaxed...and it really helped my mental/emotional state.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'll echo those who say physical activity is therapeutic. I had bouts of anxiety and depression in college a few years back. It made me feel like crap, but the one thing that could always help was a good jog. Got those good enzymes going, and helped clear my head.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

See if you can move it up. Or at least call and tell her that you're not doing well. I don't know if an ER trip is required, but you don't sound right.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

HB, this sounds like an emergency. Treat it as such. Please.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

look at the bright side, hb. that johnny cash cover of "hurt" is sensational.

as per our conversation, allow me to echo to get to a therapist pronto. when the therapist says she's booked until wednesday, it's time to get a new therapist.

or, as i said, call me any time.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Without knowing the circumstances of Mr. HB's therapist, in general I'd agree with this statement. However, there may be good reason the therapist is booked solid for another week.

Any therapist who sees/hears a patient in suffering, though, should make accommodations to do something in the short term, even if it's a tweaking of anti-depressants or some form of "homework."

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

She's a good therapist. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow, just to talk for a bit and hopefully get out of my own head.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Beat: it is pretty common for people who suffer from depression to have a harder time around the holidays. Just try to hang in there - some times that is the best you can do.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This may sound silly, but have you ever tried tanning booths? A small amount of UV light has been shown to help elevate mood levels. Plus, you'll look better, too. ;) Hang in there, man. You'll make it.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

HB,

I had a friend wake up today to find out someone he loved died this morning. She likely would have given anything to have had another hour, another day, another week.

You have that.

Don't fucking waste it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.