1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depression, Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash

Flash Guest

Shotty is right. I can tell you that community newspapers are alive and well on this side of the 49th. Some chains have gone through cutbacks over the last decade or so (at my last community newspaper stop, we started with an editorial staff of 12 and, I believe, the current staff is around six) but nobody lost jobs. There was just attrition.

And community newspapers are a great way to build your clip package, learn the ins and outs of being a reporter. Hell, some people stay in that area for life. It can be an extremely rewarding time, one in which you can really learn to connect with the reader.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I, and I'm guessing nearly everyone else, has had those feelings HB. No responsibilities, no one to disappoint. Sounds good.

I suffered through some bad stuff about 10 years ago, and things just sort of got better over time. Still, it comes back every now and then. Last month, BAM!, I fell into this week-long funk that came out of nowhere. It was strange and unexpected. Really shook me up.

Not much I can say except keep plugging away. Keep up asking for help. Keep accepting help.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It also depends on your goals and your individual situation. For instance, there are certain places I wouldn't want to do journalism, because the ultimate impact of what we do would be pretty minimal.

Mizzou's right when he notes that if you're at a certain point in life and still struggling, it might be time to eject and seek other opportunitites to feed yourself and any family you might have. If you don't have family and a bunch of bills hanging over your head, then you can hold on for as long as the passion keeps you plugging away.

Yes, shotglass . . . not everyone is in a bad situation. But the LA Times. NY Times, OC register, Baltimore Sun, Dallas Morning News, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, etc. all seem to think the industry is not healthy enough to maintain current levels of staffing. When those big boys make cuts, I know I take notice.

I applaud those who feel they're in a good situation. Many mid-major papers have ownership who cares about their community, and journalism. I had a few friends at the South Bay Daily Breeze in SoCal, a 65,000 circulation paper with a great reputation for paying its employees and treating them well. Then Dean Singleton bought the place. He's the reason San Jose is no longer mentioned as a top newspaper.

There are two views in this business that I will never hold again.

1. "Things will work themselves out." Nope. You have to make sure to work it out for yourself, first and foremost.
    2. "I'm in a good situation, and there is no reason to expect it not to last." Ask San Jose Mercury News employees what they thought in 2005. Then ask them about now.

This business got complacent with the whole "WE survived Radio and TV . . .we will survive the INTERNET!!!" view. And individuals got complacent thinking about how much they loved their jobs. Then ownership took that complacency right out from under us.

If you're safe today, congratulations. Ponder whether you'll feel the same way in a decade.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I feel that way about once a month. Writing about it seems to help me, FWIW.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm not a journalist, but I would think that the smaller free weekly papers and the community papers, while small, might be a safe harbor.

The pay/perks may not be as great, but you have a face there. And a name. And less chance of some asshole butcher like Zell or Singleton coming in and looking at your salary and your position, and without knowing you or your sitch, just swing the blade. In their eyes, you are not a columnist, a voice of the community, a well-liked beat reporter, nothing.

Nothing else matters. You represent one thing and one thing only. Salary.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why? So I can worry? No, thanks. I'll keep my sanity instead.

I promise you one thing, Piotr ... if I get downsized, it's not going to end my life.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

It can feel like it at the time, though, shottie.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only if you're younger than 25.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some call it "worry."

I call it "anticipating the future, and controlling your own destiny."

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had that talk with one of my best friends a few years ago... Great writer, but was at a smallish daily making in the mid 30s 10 years into his career. He had been a finalist for a couple better jobs, but for whatever reason, didn't get them.

I said, "Look, you have a wife and kids and you can make a lot more doing something else and actually work hours where you can spend time with your family..."

It's an uncomfortable conversation to have with anyone.

Two years later, he's 100X happier, he has his nights and weekends free and is making $15K more a year than he was...

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Shit, I wish I could make mid-30s at a smallish daily.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

For the life of me, it really sounds like you PREFER people being happy outside this profession. Or perhaps you're just stirring the shit. Not sure which.

I'm going to try to stay off this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.