1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depression, Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

And people should understand that anything can get us down. There's no reason to be embarrassed because something that seems trivial to the guy next door has devastated you. We all have triggers that cause us to reflect on things. For me, it's TV news programs. I can go from a reasonably happy mood to a terrific depressed state just by seeing some asshole who locked a kid in a closet for a week, or a year, or 10 years. But I try to flip it upside down and find motivation. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. Get off the couch and volunteer with an organization that helps kids. If you're depressed because of money problems, vow to do better and take tiny little steps in that direction.

I still have moments when I wonder how anyone can deal with all the bullshit in the world. Money issues and dealing with customer service dipshits anywhere from Walmart to the power company drive me insane. And people are stupid as hell. I mean, look at the leader of our country. Look at the music people are listening to and the clothing people wear. Girls are wearing pants where their ass cheeks hang out. Of course, that might not be a bad thing.

An important part of this puzzle is to look at the big things first. Are you happy with your job? Are you happy with your personal life? Are you happy with your weight? Ultimately, you'll find some things that you wnat to change. And that's the first step. Then you have to work on change. And realize that's a tough transition. There will be setbacks and moments when you went to throw in the towel. And it's okay to step away from something. But get right back on the horse after you've taken time to cuss and scream and dust off the shit.

It's funny that we're talking about this stuff in a sports realm. After all, that's what sports teach to so many youth, that failure is okay and that you have to keep faith in you and yours if you ever hope to prove the naysayers wrong. That's why we love the little underdogs, guys like David Eckstein. Don't under-estimate his importance. He's us. He's the little guy scratching the glass ceiling and finding a way to claw through it.

That's all for now. But know that we're here for you. Any SportsJournalists.com member would be happy to help you make decisions. There might be a lot of them, and that can be depressing in itself. I'm a freelancer, and I know how overwhelming it can be to face a mountain of stuff. Every day, I wake up to sift through e-mails, send out queries and scramble just to find enough work to meet my needs. I always make it, sometimes I do quite well. But I always feel that I'm never going to make it through the day. Sometimes, I have to say fuck it. I've pushed back stories and skipped the queries just to relax and remember the value of a single day. Each day is a new opportunity, but some days are lemons. And we also have to remember that a day is only 24 hours long, that we'll be able to get some sleep and wake up refreshed.

A few last notes:

Sleep really is an important part of psychological health. Get sleep.

Another part of psychological health is human interaction. Get out of the house and mingle with the world. You can't feel that you're a part of the world unless you are, in fact, a part of the world. So be visible and active.

Realize that everybody faces these hurdles. It's tough to understand how the mind works, but don't second guess and wonder whether there's something different about you. Everybody has depression and hurdles to leap over. If we didn't, life would suck ass. Can you imagine how boring all this would be if we woke in the morning with absolutely no challenges to face? Challenge yourself. If you don't meet a goal, fuck it. But at least set them.

That's all. I wish you luck. Now go to the nearest window and look out at the light and smile.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I was just prescribed Celexa. I'm told that it's a very good anti-depressant. Any truth to that?

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Can't tell you anything about Celexa. science stuff was never my strong suit. But HB, after hearing about your ordeal, I'm glad to hear that you've been perscribed something. I know a lot of people who have gone through what you're going through, and I feel for you.
    As far as the Celexa goes, I remember one of my friends telling me it takes two weeks (i think it was two) for any psychiatric meds to really take root, so hang in there. Also, keep your doctor abreast of how you feel. I know someone who took meds for a long time, but they weren't working for her and she didn't tell anyone. Once she told someone and they gave her the right meds, everything worked out well.
    Hope you're doing okay. Hang in there!

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

HB,
    There has been a ton of good advice on this thread. I've suffered from depression and severe anxiety from the time I was eight.

A couple of years ago I was pretty low. I was drinking more and stuck in a job I was beginning to really hate. I wasn't sleeping around (not really nailing anyone), but I was becomming a make-out whore.

I was obsessed with a guy who was totally independent (I still lived with my parents), so I wanted to impress him by planning showing him that I could do things on my own.

I planned a trip to a couple of concerts in two different states and when I came back I started dating Dr. J. Taking that trip, by myself to clear my head, was the best thing I ever did.

It was a hard road, but I'm more together than I've ever been. I lost a bunch of pounds and switched jobs. I'm holding down a fulltime job, which is something I, and my family and friends, never thought was possible.

In short, take some time for yourself and go somewhere different. Do something you didn't think you could do. A feeling of accomplishment is tough to beat.

Try different medications -- they work. Whoever suggested a pet is right on. They have to love you, you feed them. ;D

Another thing that really helped me is running. It gives me time alone with my thoughts while I do something productive. Plus I have to be pretty active with the job I have now, so getting in shape really helps out.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, like I said, I know a few people who have gone through what you're going through, so I asked around about Celexa. One of my friends is on it, says good things. Although, she does caution that it can change from person to person, so keep your doctor aware and it can take 4-6 weeks to see the full results, so hang in there!
    Hope this helps, and I hope you're doing well.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

always make sure you keep your doctor informed. it's almost a trial and error with meds, so that's tough. different meds work for different people.

i can't tell you how much meds have helped me. and the side effects haven't been bad. honestly, i worried about losing control and not having highs and lows. i've still had them, but i just feel more in control of them. honestly, getting meds may have been the best thing i've ever done. i'm in a really good place, and the meds are part of it right now.

it can take a while for you to find the right meds and right dosage. hang in there. things get better. i can't tell you how happy i am right now, and a lot of that is thanks to the meds. actually, happy's not quite the right word, the right word may be content. and that's a great thing to be. good luck

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

HB, my friend, I would never be brazen enough to think I actually have the answer for you. I am not a psycholgist or a medical person of any kind. All any of us can do is support -- pat you on the back and tell you we're with you. Only two people can really help you overcome and they are you and your therapist.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

HB, I'm glad things seem to have gotten a little better. I don't know anything about Celexa, but I do know that zoloft/sertraline (its generic form) has worked absolutel wonders for me. Still a little sluggish, but I'm attributing that to me not going to the gym much after pulling a back muscle. When I was on it back in college a few years ago, booze didn't send me off the deep end, it just turned me into the guy you saw with the lamp-shade on his head. ;D Now, though, I'm a little smarter and when I go tailgating on Monday for the Phillies' Opening Day, I won't be getting too boozy.

Plus, like what a lot of people have said before, a steady exercise routine goes a long way. I can't stress that enough. Plus, the supplements and (LEGAL) stuff that I take don't interfere with the meds or my mood, either. Keep up the good work, HB.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

all meds have different effects on all people. in other words, what works for you might not work for someone else. i'm not saying this to be discouraging. hopefully it helps. if not, it's OK. really. go back to your doctor and tell him what's up. he'll either tell you to take it for a few more weeks or switch to a different class of antidepressants.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bumping this back up, since the holiday(s) induced stress can cause people to fall into depression or slip back into it.

Flipping through a recent Newsweek, I came across a sentence that can be examined when discussing the silent bastard. In her piece in David Michaelis' recently released bio of Charles Schulz "Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography," Sharon Begley wrote, "More than anything, 'Peanuts' upended the belief that childhood is a time of innocence and happiness, for a child's pain is more acute than an adult's."

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Well, HB, how are you doing?

And btw, that bio of Schulz is pretty damn good.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Begley's piece interested me, so I'm going to try to pick it up sometime soon.

As for me, I'm doing well. Along with the therapy, I'm on Celexa; I take a pill a day and my mood has stabilized. I started taking the pills in late March, and it worked almost immediately. There are no more roller-coaster mood swings. I'm pretty much emotionally content.

I would hope that if any members of the SJ family are struggling during the holidays, that they post on this thread. There are many good people here who are willing to listen and help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.