1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Devastating to see. Many people I know are getting laid off. Friends, former co-colleagues.

I lived in the I.E. for 30 years. Put in 12-plus years between the Daily Bulletin and the Sun and enjoyed everything we did, but the unraveling began when Uncle Lean Dean came in and bought the Sun from Gannet on -- perfectly -- April 1, 1999. Loathed the Press-Enterprise because they were the competition. Had a cup of coffee with the Register half a decade back.

Consumption habits change. It's flat-out egregious to lay off these preps writers for the local publications that are charged to cover events in their neighborhoods.

Just pack up the tents and go home at this point. Newspaper ownership has shit all over themselves the past 20 years when their arrogance continued to think that they survived radio and TV, they'll surely survive the internet.

Who's left, one preps writer -- Sodenheimer -- in the L.A. market?

Tweener, wicked, FileNotFound and 3 others like this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

These two guys were very, very VERY good. And did it all, tweeting, writing, video.. this is just terrible.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My understanding of the coverage zone of LANG is that it consists of San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange and large parts of LA County (San Fernando Valley and South Bay). So the population of their coverage area is around 10 million.

Sodenheimer is at the LA Times so it appears that LANG has no prep writers left. Will LANG have beat writers for the county governments, all of whom have at least two million residents in the coverage area. Will they staff any city halls?

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The two mainstays of OCR preps -- Steve Fryer and Dan Albano -- are still there. They focus on Mater Dei and whatever team it is playing. It is hit and miss on the rest. They use several stringers. Fryer and Albano are top-notch newsmen ....... with about 100 schools in O.C.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't know anything abut the particulars of the lawsuit. But I think that the death of the dead tree edition will be the inability to find cheap home delivery personnel. I delivered the Denver Post from 1971-1973 and there were four routes in my subdivision. Penetration was about 60-65%. So adjusted for inflation the delivery boys $400-450 a month.

I think the circulation of the Post is now generously, 150,000. Which means metro penetration is about 15%. So my neighborhood, which had 400 plus subscribers, has maybe 100 now. That is to big an area for a kid on a bike so now it is left to adults. Even if you pay $10 a paper for delivery those guys would only get $1,000 a month, less auto expenses, for working a couple hours every morning. As circulation continues to decline as the subscribers literally die the delivery guys make less or routes areas continue to expand which means the delivery guys have to work longer hours and pay more for gas. At some point the papers will not be able to find anyone.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    I Should Coco likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

So true.
    Recently, there were ads in the OCR seeking delivery people for the Riverside paper. Work two or three hours a day, seven days a week, from 2:30 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. WOW, WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY. Must have your own truck, drivers license, insurance, etc. The potential pool of employees is actually a mud puddle.
    A few years ago, if I felt an economic pinch, I actually thought about it. Working the night desk until 1 or so, check email, SJ and other websites, go down to the loading dock and add another 3 hours to my work day. Fortunately, I never got that financially destitute.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The worsening conditions/economics of hiring drivers to deliver papers is made worse by the boom-town economy in our area. You can make much better money with much better hours at other businesses that always seem to be hiring.

Plus ... and this would be the biggest newspaper delivery driving negative for me ... in other jobs, you can ACTUALLY TAKE A DAY OFF without having to move mountains.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I took a buyout from the Detroit News a month ago. My life situation changed so I would have taken it anyway, but I was the only full-time copy editor left in sports. Now, the two guys who handle the online shift are doing double duty and a couple of writers also are helping out, with more and more of the work sliding to the universal desk.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree. It's time to pack up the tents and go home as you say. What's the point of continuing on? I guess there's still a chance of making a few dollars off the folks who simply have to have a print newspaper. The fact places like these that lay almost everybody off are still in business shows you there still is enough interest in the print product to keep going. At this point it's not even worth discussing. It's time to just kill all newspapers and let the companies go online only and they'll finally close shop completely within a year.

10. PFM

PFM New Member

LA Times has Sondheimer, and their OC community paper, the Daily Pilot (covering Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach) has three staff preps sports writers. I'm not familiar with the rest of their preps coverage.

SCNG has: OC Register - Steve Fryer and Dan Albano, I.E./Riverside Press-Enterprise - Eric-Paul Johnson (had three full timers before last year's buyouts), Daily Breeze - Damian Calhoun (moved from OCR during buyouts, also their MLS/Soccer reporter), San Gabriel Valley Tribune - Fred Robledo, James Escarcega

LA Daily News, Long Beach Press-Telegram and (as far as I can tell), San Bernardino Sun and Inland Valley Daily Bulletin have no full-time preps sports writers.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a frickin' embarrassment. The most talent-rich area of prep athletes probably in the country across numerous sports.

One in the I.E. is a big-time joke. As said, i put in many years there many years ago. Habits change. But with, what, 100 schools out there, it's a damn shame. We used to do four zones with stringers and full-timers on Friday nights in the fall.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted