1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. partain

partain Member

Maybe they were trying to protect the identity of Birdscribe's kid

2. nuthatcc

nuthatcc New Member

Reckless, dangerous, from behind, no play on the ball = red card. (Not to mention intent, as any competent CR would have judged by her previous play.)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I still say BS. There *was* a play on the ball. If she wanted to hurt 7, she could have, and would have.

The only foul is that it's a slide tackle from behind.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You can go for the ball and still commit a reckless foul. I remembered when I was a referee, people would bitch all the time, "I was just going for the ball."

Yeah, but you also cleaned his/her clock in the process.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I will agree that based on her previous behavior, she should have been sent off after that challenge.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

With nothing better to do at the moment, I just caught some of the replay on the mtn. That play was pretty bad in the full context of the action. Not worse than the face slap or the hair pull, but still pretty bad. The commentators mildly seemed surprised there was no card. They also commended BYU a bit for not reacting to all that crap. BYU surely wasn't playing a perfectly clean game, and who knows how much they did away from the ball, but the cameras sure didn't lie about how insane No. 15 was playing. And it wasn't like it was an isolated play. It was virtually every time the ball came her way. It didn't look like the ref had much control and it's amazing she finished the match.

7. nuthatcc

nuthatcc New Member

FIFA on Law 12: "A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. "Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. Any player who lunges at an opponent when challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent, is guilty of serious foul play.

US Soccer on excessive force: The following criteria (SIAPOA) can be used by referees to judge tackles to determine whether they fall within the “excessive force” definition:

* Speed of play and the tackle
    * Intent
    * Aggressive nature
    * Position of the tackler
    * Opportunity to play the ball
    * Atmosphere of the game

Red card tackles generally involve combinations of the aforementioned components.

Me: In my view, that challenge fulfills ALL SIX of those components, save possibly the "opportunity to play the ball," and that is highly questionable. Even if you remove out intent ("If she wanted to hurt her she could have") it fulfills enough components to merit a sending off. See especially the last element, Atmosphere of the Game.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm just amazed she hadn't been booted before that play. At the very least she should have had two yellows by that point. The commentators had called her on it well before half the plays that made the ESPN highlights. How in the hell do the ref miss all of it?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No quotes from the parents yet?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Did any women weigh in on the play? Didn't see any here . . .

The wife noted that being taken down like that would be painful. But also noted that her subsequent rolling around like her face was shot was "very soccer." Of course, that just might be from hearing me rant about flopping being a stain on the sport.

As for cards not coming out as much in women's games: Having covered some women's soccer on all levels, one thing I've noticed - especially on the school levels - is that the ladies tend to get fouled, and pop right back up, looking for an opportunity to exact vengeance. Either by scoring, or by fouling back.

The men?

They flop, seeking a call. Starting on the youth level, and getting progressively worse.

The women engage in a different style of play. And often one that is much more pleasant to watch.

Oh, and that No. 15 should have been red-carded for the ponytail pull. No excuse for that. Deliberate attempt to inflict pain and also to move the opponent using your hands. Should be the same penalty had she pulled the jersey to move her. The rest of the clip just further condemns her, as a wannabe enforcer who was angry her team was losing.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow. I just got around to watching this.

And I am never shocked that we have people on here who will defend the indefensible.

She should never play again.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

She went in to slam the girl and maybe in the process get a piece of the ball. Just because she got a little piece of the ball doesn't mean it wasn't a dirty play. Yellow card for sure, maybe a red card in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted