1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nope, when you commit shit like this, for which many others here have (probably rightly) called for a permanent suspension, you have stepped outside the pale of "every other player." You don't deserve to be treated like "every other player" anymore, and "every other player" deserves some kind of official assurance your cheap-shot shit isn't going to be tolerated.

Unfair? Yes, very. Maybe she should have thought of that before she went on her little one-woman Manson Family tour of terror.

Players with chronic or flagrant histories of blatant misconduct on the field SHOULD NOT be treated like "every other player." That's what cracked me up about the Tim Donaghy episode -- people were getting all horrified when he said that players who consistently get into confrontations with refs were being "targeted," that refs were supposedly unfairly hitting them with technicals, etc etc. Well, no shit, Sherlock.

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Wow, that video looked like some SNL skit or something, because no way that should be allowed to happen in the real world.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Give her a permanent suspension. I think its deserved.

But an ejection from the game for "any foul" is ludicrous. "Any foul" covers a lot of areas, most of which don't involve ill intent. Then the UNM would play a man short.

Don't make up rules for individual players that affect games. If she is a thug, suspend her from playing, and be done with it.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

She's on ABC News tonight!!! This is the most women's soccer coverage I've seen since Brandi took her shirt off to celebrate.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely... They can't suspend this woman. She's the best thing to happen to the sport since 1999.

6. Mizzougrad96

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Elizabeth-Lambert/203427793975?ref=nf

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

You can't punish the whole team for her stupidity. A suspension is well deserved. But to have her play and kick her out of the game for any foul is crazy.

8. Mizzougrad96

She deserves nothing more than a three-game suspension.

I'm not defending her actions, but all of these cries for her to be kicked off the team are just absurd.

The Oregon RB got about a half-season suspension for a cheap shot after the game. Lambert went over the line, but I can't help but think that if this happened in a men's soccer game nothing more than a red card would be issued.

9. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The Rhode Island high school girls state championship wants some time on ESPN:

A nice fight on the field is apparently followed by a brawl in the stands during the trophy presentation. The coach interviewed sounds like a complete idiot.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The RIIL did not handle that event well, mainly because the director is a moron.
    The press coverage of it was lacking that night. The fight was buried in both stories on the game.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So am I right? It looks like the girl in white shoves the girl in red a little too hard going down and then the girl in red just goes nuts?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The team (i.e. the coach) would have to decide whether her brilliant playing skills were worth the risk of having her thrown out (and the team play short) for a trivial violation. In all likelihood, they would decide they weren't, so the coach (who tolerated and possibly encouraged her shit in the first place) gets to be the bad guy to tell her to hang up her cleats and go play beer-league rugby.

Draft saved Draft deleted