1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Yeah. Sorry.
    I skimmed the first few graphs and thought it was stand up of her to accept what she did... But the deeper the story went the more her "behavior became taken out of context."
    That's bullshit. I played soccer for nine years - and if you tell anybody I will kill you.
    I think, like 99.99 percent of others caught in this type of situation, she's sorry she was caught. Period.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You still want her on your team? You still think she was in the right?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How about apologizing for the full thing? She downplays or ignores a punch in the back, a punch in the face, and a from-behind tackle that would be a straight red card and suspension on almost any level. Don't do the "I'm really really sorry, but I really didn't do anything" approach. It doesn't work.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Agree with you there. I hate when they have players do this. She shouldn't be talking to anybody about fair play. She needs to get her house in order, and play the right way next year, not talking to kids.

You see some of the biggest derelicts in professional sports get into trouble, then they have them talk to kids. Fuck that. Never understood it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's not my question. The question is: What do you want from her? How will anything she said, any apology, any contrition, be valid in your eyes?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Great. But your unrepentant fanboi defending of her earlier in this thread means the question you ask now is compromised. Why would I answer a question asked by someone who'll only accept "you go girl!" as a response? You don't want that question answered, you want to push your point that she didn't act like a totally classless scumbag in that game.

PCLL's right: Apologize for EVERYTHING, no conditions, no butthurt equivocations, no playing the boobies card (and don't you bet Mia Hamm and Julie Foudy and the like are thrilled that she's tying acceptance of women's soccer on the national stage to her unacceptable-at-any-level-regardless-the-genetalia-of-the-offender actions).

I'm sorry. I deserve this. I hope some day I can prove myself better than I showed that day. I hurt my sport, I hurt my school, I hurt my team, I hurt their team, I hurt my friends and family, I hurt myself.

And not now, when the iron is still hot. Give it a few weeks or months to settle in, then tell the world what you've learned. No, SHOW them what you've learned.

Is it really that hard?

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

She makes excuses for what she did rather than apologize for them. She should just accept what she did and acknowledge she knew what she was doing rather than give excuses like she is doing. She should just say she is sorry and show that she is sorry rather than defending her actions.

8. poindexter

jeez, guys. Here's a quote.

“I’ll be angry with myself that I did this, to my team, my university, that I did this to women’s soccer, a sport that many females have worked very hard to get respect for,” Lambert said.

I know its not verbatim to what you are looking for, but the above, combined with:

Her action was indefensible, Lambert said..

and
    “I still deeply regret it and will always regret it and will carry it through the rest of my life not to retaliate,”

is pretty damn close.

Sorry she didn't give a pound of flesh to you.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

For those thinking that Lambert was bad, you should take a look in on the Algeria v. Egypt game for the final African slot in the World Cup.

A tackle out of bounds has the one guy cleating the other in the thigh during an awkward means of getting up.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unrepentent fanboi? Are you stoned? At first I wasn't as appalled as the other judge-jury-executioners here, and then I pulled back and pointed out some of the instances in which I said she went above and beyond nastiness.

And so, what, you need her to stew in her regret two more weeks? What, stewing for three weeks now isn't long enough? You don't think she's been stewing every hour of every day since the day this video broke? It isn't true remorse unless 3 months have lapsed?

As for talking to young kids, I have zero problem with her doing that right now. The issue is right here, right now. Don't have her wait 6 months and then go talk to girls. She admitted that what she did is defenseless. Now is the perfect time to atone for her actions and pass the message along to young girls playing not only soccer but any other sport.

Edit: In 2,500 minutes, Lambert had 2 yellow cards, so she doesn't have a history of violence.

11. poindexter

Edit: In 2,500 minutes, Lambert had 2 yellow cards, so she doesn't have a history of violence.

or, the refereeing was as bad all season as it was in the BYU game.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Apologies are overrated. I'd rather she be given a punishment fitting the assault, but that's on the school. I really don't care what she has to say about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted