1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

1. You're still trying to justify her actions. You're just less fanatic about it than you were at the beginning, which was flat-out mind-boggling.

2. It's too soon after something as heinous as this to be able to give a full-fledged, heartfelt apology. It'll mean more later. Not just her, but anyone who does something like this.

3. She only got a yellow card in a match where she should have gotten cards in all the colors of the wind. So her yellow card record doesn't really impress me that much.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When the fuck did we become monitor of apologies, mea culpas and levels of contrition? This young woman has already paid a heftier price than anyone in the history of pony tail-pulling yet, somehow, that's not enough for some of us.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mystery, I'm not justifying her actions. When it I first watched the video (several times), I was more forgiving because I've covered women's sports, including college sports, and I've seen some of this, and worse. Dartmouth had a field hockey player that makes Lambert look like Pippi Longstocking. And then I toned back some of my initial feelings as I watched the video several more times. Lambert lost it. She admitted it.

That said, what I am perplexed at is the indignation by some here who don't accept her apology because it A) too soon or B) not heartfelt enough or C) viewed as non-sensical bullshit or D) blames the reaction on sexism or E) blah blah blah.

If your son or daughter got this rough in a game, would you make him or her stew in his/her shame for months before it was "too soon" to apologize? If there were 14 more games on the schedule, and the league only suspended your kid for 2 games, would you as Mr. Righteous Father compound the league's punishment and not allow your kid to play the rest of the season?

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yes. All she did was yank some chick's ponytail. The way people go on, you'd think she drove into players legs with cleats, punch people in the back and throw someone standing to the ground using their hair.

5. Songbird

But it's OK for the BYU player, without provication, to elbow Lambert in the belly? Oh, but it's such a soft elbow it didn't really count; how 'bout you let me come and elbow you to the belly and see how you react. Oh, but those elbows happen all the time, so we can overlook that one, too.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She was absurdly out of control throughout the game. She's been skewered and ridiculed world wide. She's been suspended. She's apologized. I'm not sure how much more you want.

If only Major Hasan got this kind of scrutiny.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

She assaulted another player on the field in a college sporting event. The result should be immediate and permanent expulsion from the team.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=non+sequitur

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. Elbows in the course of jostling for position are a part of soccer.

Yanking someone down from behind by the hair is assault.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You couldn't look more foolish in defending her Xan. Yes she got elbowed, big fucking deal, the elbow was nothing compared to the crap that she piulled.

Having said that, what in the hell do you people want from her, she's apoligized, she's been suspended and publicly ridiculed. I think she realizes how bad her actions were.

10. Songbird

So, Rick, should we disband the NHL for the same reason?

Edit after Rick just posted: Oh, but it's OK when you're jostling for position. Uh-huh, sure.

11. Songbird

JC, I'm not defending her.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Keeps getting sillier Xan.

Draft saved Draft deleted