1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Different sports, different levels, different expectations. You can try to muddy the water all you want, but they are not valid comparisons.

If someone assaults a player from behind in a college hockey game, hell yeah, throw them out.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Looks like you're making excuses for her.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The result should be immediate and permanent expulsion from the team.

I don't recall seeing that rule in the NCAA handbook. In fact, I've seen plenty of onfield assaults on NCAA playing fields.

The Oregon guy is back on the team.

Aubrey Coleman blatantly stepped on Chase Buddinger's face in a game last year. He was all Conference USA last year.

4. RickStain

Technically, he's trying to equivocate for her. Lumping in what she did with other, noncomparable incidents.

Both of which are because I'm not in charge of punishment for the NCAA.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Most of us are cynical about apologies (and for that matter, bad boy-turned-good stories). That's the nature of being in the public eye. If I call you a stupid fucking cocksucker whose mom should have thrown herself down a flight of stairs where you were born, then hit you in the face with a brick on every birthday when you somehow survived, then apologize a couple of weeks later, would you buy in at face value?

And a lot of what she said sounded good, but then she started justifying it by wrapping it in sexist bullshit that should shame women's soccer players that play above board. She's not the victim of a gender-based witch hunt. Her actions got exposed and now she's paying the price (and imagine if TV wasn't there? With only one yellow card for it, who's to say she doesn't go even more postal the next match?).

Also, like how you whine about indignation while calling me Mr. Righteous Father. Nicely played.

If Lambert was my daughter, she'd be an adult and accountable for her own actions. If we're talking underage son/daughter, I'd make damn sure they actually understood why they were sorry, not simply that they should know to apologize because that's just what you do when you get called out.

What would you do?

6. She's hot, she can do whatever she wants (veiled Goodfellas reference). KTHXBYE

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

JC, I'm making zero excuses for her. I asked those who won't accept her apology to spell out why.

Rick, it's the same concept. Different sports, different levels, different expectations is a BS response. Sports is sports. You have expectations for punishment for one sport, you have them for them all. So if a hockey player drops his gloves and lands 12 straight fists to a player's face, it's OK? It's not from behind, you know.

Mystery, I'm trying to make a point. Don't expand the argument about age and whatnot. The root of the question about your kids is still the same.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Xan, your hockey argument is ridiculous, in the NHL you don't get kicked out of the game for fighting. Not all games are governed the same.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And Mystery, the world would've been a much better place had my mom aborted me. It's unfortunate that you're stuck with me.

10. RickStain

More equivocation. You can try to play wannabe lawyer and claim no difference if you want, but nobody living in the practical world will ever take that seriously. Yes, high school, college and pros have different standards. You are wrong for thinking otherwise, and I suspect you'd never try to claim that you think that if you weren't trying to win an argument where you've been forced to twist your position into something completely illogical while trying to prove your point.

Among the many other differences, hockey players generally don't fight unwilling participants. If two guys want to drop the gloves in a hockey game, it's a part of the game in both written and unwritten terms. That's completely different from an assault from behind that has nothing to do with the prevailing standards of the game.

11. RickStain

In Xan's world they are. Boxing should have the same rules as volleyball. If we don't punish boxers for punching their opponent's in the face, how could we punish a volleyball player who stepped across the net and did the same?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess we really don't like it when women don't play nice and pretty.

Draft saved Draft deleted