1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. When in doubt, assume people who disagree with you have secret motivations that make them look bad.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

No it's not. What you do to an adult and what you do to a teenager and what you do to a 5-year-old are markedly different. And you aren't even bothering to answer the question, you're blaming the BYU kid for Lambert turning into a first-grade asshole.

Do you even think she should have been punished now? Do you think the yellow card shouldn't have been handed in the first place? Do you still want her on your team?

3. Mystery Meat II

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This story has little to do with the actions of the young woman and ALL to do with a double standard in the way we view women athletes relative to men. The absurd level of anger toward the woman (not just on this thread) demonstrates just that.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Boxing: You punch guys in the face.

Hockey: You try to put the puck in the net. Oh, and if you want to drop the gloves and punch a guy in the face 10 times, go right ahead. Hell, it's only a 5-minute major.

Mystery, I am not blaming the BYU kid for everything that happened. Separate actions.

I am pointing out another instance of dirty play. But no one has said a single negative thing about that, other than, snicker-snicker, the BYU kid was just jostling for position. Uh-huh, jostling involves elbows straight to the gut. Damn, that BYU striker is ingenious the way she got position there.

You want the question answered as to what my punishment is for Lambert? You can't go back to the game and give her a red. After the fact, you suspend her for X-number of games to start her senior season, with a shitload of conditions that would end her playing days in Albuquerque if she violated just one of them. (As well as what she's doing now: talking to a sports shrink, and talking to young female athletes, etc.).

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because there's never been a moral outrage at male athletes? Ridiculous in the extreme. You are seeing what you want to see, not what's there.

7. Mystery Meat II

What's absurd about it. We were angry about Blount and Artest and all the other completely uncalled-for violent incident. Stop making this an anti-woman thing. It's incredible simplistic and condesending.

8. Mystery Meat II

So you're officially, once and for all backing off the "once she threw the elbow, everything's fair game" argument you put up earlier?

And trying to equivocate the two as being equal is completely wrong-minded. Class 5 misdemeanor to Class 1 felony, yet in your eyes they're both the same because they're both crimes.

Your punishment sounds fine. You're under the impression I want her hanged or something. I don't. But I think she weakened her apology with her own equivocation. And it's not sexist to wonder why the hell it took exposure on a national network to give her something more damning than a yellow card.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I will back off of that because I don't think one thing led to another. We did only see clips of the violence, so I can't say that the elbow begat everything else. I was wrong to state that as fact when I only had the snippets to base my conclusion on.

10. cranberry

It's absurd because it's been blown ridiculously out of proportion. There have been fights and unsportsmanlike conduct in just about every sports league that has ever existed. We're focused on this one because a) it involves a woman, and b) it was caught on video.

Because she behaved poorly in this game, this young woman's life has been changed for the worse in a proportion far exceeding the level of her misbehavior and acts of misconduct. Yet, somehow that doesn't seem enough punishment to you? Here apology isn't sincere or contrite enough for you?

Why not save your outrage for the 20 horse-collar tackles, six fights and four late hits you'll see in the NFL this Sunday?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But then there's this:

At the same time, she said other moments of aggressive play — in which Lambert elbowed a Brigham Young player in the back, received a yellow card for tripping, seemed to throw a punch at an opponent’s head and made a hard tackle from behind — came during the forceful, insistent play that routinely occurred in women’s soccer but might be misunderstood by casual fans.

Some of her actions — like the apparent punch, which she said was inadvertent — were misinterpreted or taken out of context on a condensed video, Lambert said. And she said she believed that the incident was blown out of proportion because it occurred in a women’s game. She said it was wrongly reported to be her when it was actually a teammate who tried to clear a ball and accidentally kicked it into the face of a B.Y.U. player.

“I definitely feel because I am a female it did bring about a lot more attention than if a male were to do it,” Lambert said.

And that is all bullshit.

I will say this for her -- on a second read-through, all of the quotes are very good, and the mealy-mouthed making excuses part is paraphrased by the reporter.

Still, the point remains: the apology appears to be strictly confined to the ponytail and nithing else.

12. cranberry

Your sense of perspective is severely lacking. Go watch a football or hockey game and work up some outrage.

Draft saved Draft deleted