1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Different sports, different standards. I don't get outraged about women's water polo either, and as some have mentioned in this thread, they get away with quite a bit. Because it's part of the game.

I've found quite a few things to be outraged about in hockey and football games. The most recent example was Blount. He should not be playing college football, ever.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Well no shit we focus on it more because of video. We get to see it more. That's hardly unfair. The "oh it's just because she's a woman" argument is complete unprovable and undisprovable bullshit. Name a college men's soccer game where this run of incidents has taken place (with only a yellow card for it, which was a big part of the objections).

Try reading all the posts, skippy. The level of punishment is appropriate. The apology would be OK, but she coached it in anti-woman conspiracy and prejucide, same as you are. Totally insulting to the women's soccer players who play above board.

We get the point: yay girls, boo yucky boys. Your Honorary Woman badge is coming from NOW in a week to 10 days.

And how is outrage over horse-collar tackles and Lambert's run of red card-worthy behavior mutually exclusive?

3. Mystery Meat II

But only a men's game. Otherwise you're being a sexist jerk.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So the girl just played the wrong sport? Oh. I get it. She should have gotten involved in a sport in which assault on the field/court/rink is more routine.

5. cranberry

I don't think you're sexist.

6. RickStain

If it's a known part of the sport, it's not assault.

What she did isn't comparable to two hockey players dropping the gloves. It's comparable to a hockey player sneaking up behind an opponent and taking a two-handed swing with their stick to the opponent's face. The former is an expected part of the game. The latter is assault.

7. cranberry

I never saw the "known part of the sport" exclusion for assault in any of the rule books.

8. Mystery Meat II

Different sports have different acceptable levels of physical interaction. What gets you a warning from the ref in soccer can get you a pat on the back from your trainer in a boxing match and a metric ton of holy hell in tennis. It's not unfair to draw those distinctions.

9. RickStain

Assault is defined in the rule books now? I didn't know that was the case at all.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What's the referee signal for "assault"?

11. cranberry

So your outrage is ratcheted up in this case because you believe the "acceptable level" of assault is far lower in womens soccer than it is in, say, mens football? But you don't think this story has anything to do with the way we perceive mens sports relative to womens sports.

12. Mystery Meat II

Unless you're using soccer and football interchangeably to mean the same sport, then you're comparing apples and anteaters. There's a higher level of violence acceptable in men's hockey than there is in women's golf. But saying that means I'm having a problem with how I perceive men's sports relative to women's sports. Apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted