1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You were the one suggesting that assault is considered OK (and in fact entertaining!) in some sports but not others, not me.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There are hundreds of more egregious acts of misconduct every week on collegiate football fields and hockey rinks but somehow it's OK. What exactly makes those more egregious acts OK in other sports?

Rick tried with his "known part of the sport" response but, let's face it, that's not the kind of sound logic you expect from him. Anyone care to venture a theory?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

because they are different sports. If you want to make your point, which may be a valid one would you not argue the difference between mens and womens soccer? Comparing other sports is ridiculous.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So all sports should be governed by the same rules regarding physical contact? You haven't answered anything related to that point. You keep bringing it back to football and hockey. THEY'RE NOT THE SAME SPORT AS SOCCER. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR LEGAL INTERACTION IN ONE SPORT TO BE ILLEGAL AND OUTRIGHT IMMORAL IN ANOTHER. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOBIES. CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

I'm going to learn how to golf just so I can check someone in my foursome into a tree with my 7-iron. Hey, it's A-OK in hockey!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not saying what she did would be legal in men's soccer but I will say there would be a lot less attention paid to this if it happened in a men's game.

6. Mystery Meat II

Proof? Has a similar incident happened in a men's college soccer game, which would be the straight-across equivalent?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I completely agreee with this.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Players wear cages and fighting is an automatic ejection in college hockey. Not that it matters.

Some of you are off your freaking rockers.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Proof? I offered an opinion. You can disagree.

I have no proof I'm just saying because a woman did this, it is creating far more hoopla than if a man did. It does have something to do with BOOBIES!
    I certainly don't consider her conduct to be OUTRIGHT IMMORAL!

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I did no such thing. I did specifically state the completely correct view that context matters in deciding what counts as assault.

11. Mystery Meat II

So basically you have nothing except "well, it just is". Great.

It helps, on a board of supposed journalists, to be able to back up your opinions with something quantifiable.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

People can deny it all they want, but this would have been exponentially less replayed if it were a guy doing the exact same actions.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE WHAT SHE DID RIGHT, EXCUSABLE OR ANYTHING LESS THAN SUSPENSION WORTHY. (All caps because someone is sure to miss the point).

But there would be far less outrage and public attention on it. It wouldn't have shown up on late-night talk shows with a voice-over trying to make the whole thing sexy, and I don't think it's unfair for her to point that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted