1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I must have missed when we all ignored the Blount incident. My bad.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not comparing the sports. I'm trying to determine why the exact same level of misconduct is considered acceptable or tolerable in one sport but not in another.
    No. Please read better. I'm wondering why the same exact act of unsportsmanlike conduct should be treated far differently in one collegiate sport than another. Instigating a fight is a good example. Happens all the time in just about every contact sport. Why is it worse when it happens in womens soccer than when it happens in mens football? It's clearly against the rules in both sports. How and when did we all get together and decide it's worse in one sport than the other?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not mens college soccer,
    www.fandome.com

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Was anyone else disappointed with today's NYT article on the player?
    I was hoping it would be more profile, less mea culpa.

When she said: those actions weren't me... well then, who was it? Is the chick clinically depressed or just chronically in denial? Who is she off the field?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure if Lambert is getting more attention because she is a woman or not. Blount certainly got a lot of attention. I don't remember Florida's Brandon Spikes getting as much attention for trying to gouge out the eyes of a Georgia player earlier this season. Spikes' actions were every bit as bad, if not worse, than what Lambert did.

Part of the attention is because the ponytail pull looks so dramatic, so we are going to see it replayed often. I remember seeing many, many replays on a few occasions that NFL players with really long hair were pulled down by it. Troy Polamalu was one. I think Mike McKenzie was the other.

Sure, Lambert should have just apologized and left it at that, but I relaly don't have a problem with her offering up some defense of her actions. It's not like she is the only person suggesting that this story got more play than it would have if a man had done the same things.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The link to the Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/sports/soccer/18soccer.html?_r=2

And yes, if you click on the photo to enlarge, you'll see she dresses up pretty good. There, I said it.

She also says the punch in the back was "inadvertent." Uhh, Lizzie...go back and look at You Tube. You went into a windup before you punched the girl in the back. And check the expression. There was nothing inadvertent.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Gotta be careful wearing a scarf that long in public, or else someone might grab it and yank you to the ground.

8. RickStain

Because in every facet of life, context to behavior matters.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This is why I was partial to rugby when my body could still absorb that kind of sport.

Violence is celebrated and encouraged.

10. cranberry

Yes and in this facet of life -- organized sports -- we've arbitrarily but unofficially assigned varying degrees of aggressive behavior to be considered, in your words, "a known part of the sport." There is no question we as a culture tolerate far higher degrees of aggressive behavior in mens sports than in womens sports. Like I said earlier, we expect women to conduct themselves in a "ladylike" fashion and many of us, perhaps a majority, are still uncomfortable when women behave aggressively. There's also a minority of us, of course, who are kind of turned on by it.

11. RickStain

I didn't do it arbitrarily. I did it based on prevailing standards.

Please don't tell me how I do and don't feel. If you can find me a video of a male college soccer player doing the same thing, then I'll agree he should be kicked off permanently.

Again I ask, where were you when we were all ascending the throne of judgment for LeGarrette Blount?

12. cranberry

OK, let's do it the hard way: What exactly are these "prevailing standards" of which you speak, how are they different than the oh-so-weak "known part of the sport" justifications you advanced earlier, and on what objective basis have they been developed over the last century or so?

Re: your over-the-top "I think she should be permanently banned" pronouncements, I don't give a crap what you think nor does anyone in soccer governance.

Re: Blount, I watch about seven quarters of football every year, no more than two in any single game, and I don't expend an ounce of energy getting myself worked up over acts of misconduct that take place in any athletic event.

Draft saved Draft deleted