1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was a good yanking of the hair.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So would there have been any level of retaliation that wasn't acceptable?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The fuck she's not. Look at 0:31 of the video. CLEARLY going for the girls' legs. Her right leg DIRECTLY went to take out the right leg/ ankle of the BYU player. She isn't playing the ball.

I don't give a crap about the tit for tat hitting. During the game, crap like what she did at 0:31 is unacceptable. The crap at 1:02 is weak. Kicking the ball in the girl's face after the play stopped is par for the course for these thugs.

Play the ball, you dumb bitches - not the legs of the opponent.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No doubt, but it looked worse thanks to the acting

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

6. Songbird

Yes ... had play resumed elsewhere on the field and 15 went after the girl and tried punching her or taking her down behind the refs' view.

She started her slide tackle and got to the point where the ball was, but the striker was a half-second ahead and had cut toward the box. 15's anticipation was right, she just executed it too late. That wasn't intentional. I don't like dirty play. I played for 10 years. If someone is going after ankles, I'll be the first to say so. It was a hard play and nothing more.

The 1:02 mark is thuggish. That was a different player, though, right? No. 13?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We'll agree to disagree. No way in my mind she wasn't going for the leg.

Right. More than one NM player doesn't play the ball. 15 just does the thuggish kick to the face after play is stopped.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of the stuff that might have been cheap, but isn't that rare to see in a soccer game.

The ponytail pulldown was an all-timer though.

9. Songbird

I screengrabbed the 31-second mark:

[​IMG]

1) Look closely. Her attacking tackle-leg got to the ball -- not 7's ankle or foot or leg. The violence of both players in the milliseconds after that point is what caused the crash into the turf.

That said ...

2) She did tackle from behind, and I always thought that was a yellow card.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If she executed the tackle too late, then her anticipation WASN'T right. That's pretty much the definition of any non-intentional foul -- an unsuccessful attempt to play the ball that results in playing the opponent instead.

11. Songbird

I was wrong in my initial post about late execution. Because she did execute it at the right time. Her foot is on ball.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That she gets the ball appears to be a complete accident. And even if she does get the ball, flying in like that, there's only one outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted