1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 10, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, since there have been so many good responses.

I believe in God. I also believe in evolution.

I think it's too crazy to think that this world just happened randomly.

I'm not big on heaven, though. I believe it exists but not counting on it being paradise. I'm not sure we'll even consciously be able to experience it at least as we think of life now.

If I'm wrong, that's a plus.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I believe heaven's like a big dish of hummus.
    And our souls are like pita.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No doubt we have a justification for every action we take in life, even if we're not aware of it. However, trying to justify with oneself is drastically simpler than trying to justify it to someone else, especially when it's something as touchy as religion and faith.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, there is a huge, huge difference between those two. For atheism to be valid, it must eliminate every supernatural permutation known to man. How can an atheist <i> not </i> believe in what they've never heard of? It's illogical. You can't just say "well, I don't know anything about religion x, but I know I don't believe in it." If an atheist doesn't believe in <i> any </i> god, don't they actually have to know who all the gods are before they don't believe in them?

Consider a practical example. Say there's twenty rooms. The first 10 have the atmosphere of Saturn - completely inhospitable for life. Would somebody stop after the tenth room and go "well, based on the first 10 rooms, which are complete separate from one another, I know the next 10 are exactly the same." Now that person could very well believe the last 10 rooms are the same, but it's a fraudulent belief. This example, in fact, sides in favor of the atheist, because I'm giving you a finite number of rooms. All they'd have to do is look at the last 10.

By contrast, to believe in one God, and only that God, is completely logical - because that god tells you it's the only god. To believe in other gods would contradict your faith in the one that says it's the lone god.

Atheists are really agnostics. They haven't been given any compelling evidence for the four gods they've heard of, but that's just four gods. A real atheist wouldn't assume the popular religions account for and represent all the world's smaller belief systems.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Alma, I'm not sure what happened to you in the interim, but you have been far less logical since your return.

If someone says, "I don't believe in supernatural forces" they are elliminating all potential gods that come along. However, you have declared that the god you worship is the one true god. Yet, you have done little to no research on the others to find their faults to provide justification for your own.

Why would anyone that discounts supernatural forces decide to take legitimately any idea presented?

Using your own analogy...

You have 20 rooms in hallway. Each room contains a chair. You opened the first door and saw a chair. Without opening any of the other 19-doors you have decided that the chair in front of you is the best and greatest chair and you need not open any of the following doors because faith alone has helped you determine that it must automatically be the best.

See, this is what you have done. Yet, for whatever reason have decided that those discounting all faiths are frauds. Amazing.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You just framed an argument you want to have, Alma, in terms no one else would use except you. An atheist simply says, "I don't believe there is any God." It's the same as a Christian saying, "I believe in God."

It isn't any more complicated than that. That atheist doesn't have to jump through hoops of your choosing to prove the nonexistence of god to be able to believe what he does any more than you have to go to the ends of the earth to prove the existence of god to believe in one.

Using your terms, for "Christianity to be valid," you must eliminate every possibility that God doesn't exist. Until you can do that, you should consider yourself a fraud, I guess.

God is neither provable or unprovable. It's kind of funny to me that someone would assert their faith and consider themselves honest in their beliefs and then call turn around and call someone who asserts his lack of faith a fraud because he hasn't gone out and eliminated every possibility that god doesn't exist (as if that can even be done).

But OK, show me how you have gone to the ends of the earth to find every shred of evidence that there is no God (it would be a fruitless exercise, anyhow). Until then, using your terms, your beliefs aren't valid and you're a fraud.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If a person chooses to be an atheist, it could be because they reject the idea of a supreme being, regardless of any being's background, etc. I don't want to eat horse dung, but I shouldn't first have to eat horse dung to know I wouldn't like it. The desire, or lack thereof, should be enough to justify my decision.

I've never been to Los Angeles, but I also have no desire to go there, and I shouldn't have to take a forced visit to justify my choice.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wrong. So long as the given religion claims that the god contained within the religion is the only god, the belief is secure. It may be wrong - for example, I think Muslims are wrong to believe in prophet Muhammed - but it is not flawed. You have no reason to examine another religion if the one you believed preached it was the only valid one.

That's, generally, how cults work. Human God A says "I'm God." Human follower A says "OK." God A says "doesn’t matter what anyone else believes, stay here and drink chicken blood." If Follower A believes God A, they’ll do as told. It doesn't mean they're making the right choice, but you can't say the choice is insincere.

I'm suggesting atheists are. Most have examined a couple religions, discarded them, and called it good. If there's, say, 100 gods, you can read about 4 of them and say "well, ditto the other 96."

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is a great point. I'd also add that at least in the case of horse dung, it's something tangible. God isn't. You can spend 20 lifetimes investigating it and trying to sample it and it won't get you any closer to something that legitimizes what is simply a matter of faith.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since we've taken to quoting George Carlin so much, I remember one bit he did about eating...

"How do you know you won't like something if you've never even tried it?"

"It came to me in a dream."

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I guess according to your logic, if I say that ghosts don't exist, I must travel to every single location that claims to have a ghost, walk around, experience what the home owner or whatever experiences, and then say "Nope. No ghost here."

Alma, do you believe in ghosts?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Precisely. I'm not saying that's what I've done...I'm merely saying that this particular decision, in and of itself, is not insincere.

Your example makes my point even better. Ever went to store and bought the first thing you picked up? I have. Say it's a basketball. I fell in love with this one basketball, I thought it was perfect, and I bought it. Now…that doesn't mean it really was perfect. Maybe another ball in that store was actually better and cheaper. But I didn't buy the ball I bought because I thought it was crappy and expensive. I may have made a bad choice, but the choice, in and of itself, has logic. I liked the first thing I saw, thought it was best, and bought it.

Applying the logic of atheism on the same situation, I'd go into the store, look at one ball, not like it, and decide not to look at the rest on the faith that none of the other balls were any better. Now, in a retail situation, if I went to the most expensive the store had, correlated that to "the best," and found it wanting, this might make sense. But there is no "best" religion to an atheist. A real atheist would never say "well, Christianity, if I believed in it, would be more believable than voodooism." You'd have to examine every religion simply to say "now that I know about that one, I don't believe in it."

Draft saved Draft deleted