1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 10, 2007.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm a believer.
    There's got to be a higher power in control of all this astounding stuff around us.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

One brief misstep in you post, which I think is absolutely on point.

If an atheist's main objection stems from the concept of a God or supreme being, than they can actually be a Buddhist.

Buddhism is generally viewed as a religion or philosophy without a Supreme Being in the sense of a Creator God or Creator of the human race. The Buddha, also know as Siddhartha Gautama or Gautama Buddha is sometimes viewed as the example for a human who has achieved the primal, eternal, sustaining essence within all beings and phenomena, but by no means is The Buddha considered to be divine.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Are you guys REALLY believers?

Or hopers?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm a believer
    I couldn't leave her
    If I tried

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for clearing that up, Red. Didn't quite realize that about Buddhism (I actually don't know a lot about it, which I probably should), although I always enjoy learning something new.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're not? How can an objection be valid if you don't know what you're objecting?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

From the very little I know about Catholicism and Pentacostalism, I can then decide I don't want to be a part of those religions, even without knowing more. To me, it's a perfect valid objection.

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Alma, perhaps this is coming down to semantics. If you insist, atheists can start defining ourselves as "agnostics who don't believe in a god or gods." Of course, to me that is simply atheism.

Yes, it goes without saying that atheists cannot empirically prove that God does not exist. If that's your point, then you win. It's not possible. But in what perverse debate does it fall on non-believers to justify their lack of belief?

I can't prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist. But I feel secure saying that I don't believe in Santa Claus, and I don't plan to spend the rest of my years scouring the North Pole with a search team looking for him, just in case I'm wrong.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Declaring that you are a member of a certain religion and that your religion is the one true religion (which is a default if you are a member) is the equivalent of discounting all other religions. If you have not analyzed all other religions in the world how do you discount all and settle on one?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not saying an atheist has to prove anything other than that they've actually considered all the world's positions on God. I doubt many have.

You can't just say "well, I don't feel a presence of god" because, in some faiths, you wouldn't.

11. You can be a Deist, as was Jefferson.
    You can join Flannery O'Connor's Church Of Truth Without God, where the lame don't walk, the blind don't see, and what's dead stays that way.
    Or you can join with me in Flann O'Brien's reason for not engaging in blasphemy -- because, if there is no god, it's stupid and unnecessary. And, if there is, it's dangerous.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But Buddhism has demons and reincarnation, two concepts I can't get behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted