1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 10, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buckdub sets 'em up, Tomas knocks 'em down. :D

2. printdust

printdust New Member

So what do you do during a Christmas service? I mean, being a non-subscriber and all....no criticism here, just wondering...does it ever enter your mind for a few minutes of chewing?

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have tried my entire life to believe in God. I have posted on here my feeling that 'there must be something that explains it all'. I was raised Roman Catholic and have attended a number of different denominations.

I have sought God and tried to feel God's presence.

Then I read a book that changed everything. For the first time someone wrote exactly what I feel and gave me a name for it - pantheism. And that, my friends, makes me an atheist.

I don't believe in God. I don't believe that God is neccesary to explain the world or anything in it. I don't need God to make me a moral or good person.

And Alma, I don't need to study every religion in the world to know that I don't believe in God. I know, in my heart, that I am right and that conviction is strong and true and valid. It is as valid and true to me as my devoutly Catholic mother's faith is to her.

All this happened in the last 2 weeks so it's not something I can intellectualize about yet nor do I feel the need to justify my beliefs. But I have seen the light after years of searching for the truth and the truth is that the world is an amazing, breathtaking, lifegiving place that doesn't need any justification other than it's own existence.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's mostly music, anyway. But, no. Nothing there proves to me that I should believe, if that's what you're asking.

5. ondeadline

Which book is that?

The reason I say that I'm an agnostic is that I've seen nothing to prove that there is a God, but I can't prove there isn't one.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The book is "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. I recommend it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"there must be something that explains it all."

yes, blind faith explains it all.

8. ondeadline

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion">
    There are a lot of interesting ideas from the book in this Wikipedia entry.</a>

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not to be flip, but Zimmerman hit a slam in the ninth to win it for the Nats at 1:45 a.m. today. So my mind could be changed on this whole topic. Let's see what happens today when they go for the sweep.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Taken in its context, I'm a bit confused. Either you're right, or your mother is right. There can't be at the same time an existence of an entity and a non-existence, except in the hearts and minds of those it might occupy. And if that is the basis for your point, then all you've proven is that God doesn't exist in your life. But it doesn't cancel his existence elsewhere.

Just a thought.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

I do, however, look at the hopelessness in the world and wonder why he doesn't go ahead and do something to indicate his active status. Then again, history of Chrsitianity and other religions indicate curses on those that rebelled against him, so maybe that's the active part. Reckon?

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can't think of anything "egotistical" about establishing an opinion based upon the available evidence.

And yes, I know I've probably missed 7 pages' worth of responses to this post and others. Clearly, I need to read these threads more often.

Draft saved Draft deleted