1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 10, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why did I turn away from the Catholic Church (my family's religion), from Christianity, and from organized religion in general?

Because I couldn't rationalize the idea that my eternal salvation depended almost entirely on the fact that I was born in the right place, at the right time.

I considered this: If I just happened to be born 25 years ago, to devoutly Muslim parents in Saudi Arabia ... instead of to devoutly Catholic parents in Maryland ... where would I be today? What would I be like? Would I have celebrated on 9/11? I truly, truly don't know. I sure hope not, because I like to think that I'd be empathetic to human suffering, no matter where my life had taken me. And perhaps I would.

What if I had been born in India, to Hindu parents? Or Tibet, to Buddhist parents?

But instead, I was lucky enough to be born into a family that practiced Christianity, in a nation that allowed for religious freedom and in an era where it was most convenient to practice the religion my mom taught me. It would be so easy for me to continue to be Catholic, like my siblings, like the rest of my family. So, so easy. But why do I deserve that luxury? What did I do, besides being born to the right set of parents, at the right place and time?

I can't kid myself. I can't believe in an idea that rewards me with eternal salvation because I was lucky enough to have parents who exposed me to that idea, and put me in the position to live that life. It doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't seem fair to me. What about all those kids in Saudi Arabia or India or Tibet? Most of whom will never have the chance to be exposed to the ideas of Christianity? They didn't choose to be born to those parents, to that life. Neither did I.

Nobody I've ever talked to, nothing I've ever read or studies, has been been able to reconcile me to that idea.

I have plenty of other differences with Catholicism, and Christianity, that have only solidified me to my decisions. There are some things I can overlook, others that I have stronger objections to. The child-abuse stuff boils my blood, but it never really played a part in my "conversion." It's the idea that someone could be damned to hell because they were born in a different place, at a different time. I don't buy that, and I don't buy any of the justifications for it.

My religion has preached inclusion to me all my life. It's the "universal" Church, right?

That's not my idea of inclusion.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've never been able to get past that (as the basis for ANY religion) . . . and doubt I ever will.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Well I can't speak for other religions, but I know that in Islam, being Christian,Jew, or anything else dosn't automatically put you in hell.

P.S. I also know that if a person has never learned about Islam, he also is put in the same category.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Is it your "Why am I lucky" argument?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, to play on your field, at least the bullshit pumped by certain religion gives you something or someone to pray to.

Again, I'm playing these arguments right down the middle. Somebody had mentioned earlier that my standards for atheists and secular humanists are laughable. Indeed they are. That's the point. Logically, they make little to no sense, and have no universal application. As far as atheism, I'm not sure anyone has shown the appropriate dedication to debunking to call themselves a real one.

6. I see what you're saying, but grant me a few ifs here.
    IF there is some form of a higher power, and IF that higher power has created an eternal paradise, and IF there is a way to obtain a ticket to the eternal paradise from the higher power, THEN there has to be some people who are in luckier situations than others, right?
    If Christianity is correct, then those of us in the West are lucky because we are more exposed to the truth than most of the world.
    If Zambufu of a tribe in the African jungle is the true god, then we are quite unlucky.
    Either way, I'm not going to give up searching for truth (which IS what we do as journalists, right?) simply because religions tend to be regional.
    I've said before, I might come to the wrong conclusions about God, but it won't be for lack of trying.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When you say "reconcile," do you mean that's nobody been able to explain why some never hear what's referred to as "the Gospel" or that you disagree with the way God goes about sharing the Gospel?

Besides that, I must ask, somewhat critically, but not sarcastically...given the guilt you feel over your relative birth luck, have you renounced your possessions yet? Given all your money away? Your car? Your American citizenship? Do you deserve those luxuries?

8. printdust

printdust New Member

There is a thought process out there that points to certain scriptures in Revelation and also Galatians in the New Testament that a) all will end up getting the chance to accept either now or before judgment...Revelation's version is kind of far out and difficult to understand... but the Galatians reference is easily understood...that God has revealed himself "through creation" as to leave men without excuse. Before Christ or without the knowledge of Christ there is a relation to God through creation. To me, it's easier to understand a God that can assemble the universe than God in man incarnate...a mystery in itself that I struggle with but believe as part of the total picture of scripture. So it would seem that there's an understanding of God through creation in just about every religion. I also think God's compassionate enough in the end to allow people some wiggling room here.

Some more interesting stuff that even incorporates evolution...look up the teachings of a guy named Arnold Murray, this preacher in Arkansas. Not saying subscribe to it, but it's interesting.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Within that, perhaps there's evidence of God's grace upon the timing of your placement on earth. Hey believe me, grace is one of those really tough concepts. Grace isn't consistent, but woven beyond the moment, usually reveals its purpose at some point.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, almost like someone was high while writing it ... almost.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And their is inherent virtue in worshiping something?

Logically, your arguments make less sense than either atheism or secular humanism.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There's no law -- at least no enforceable law -- that says you have to believe everything. It's what you take from it that matters. Goodness, the majority of Christians don't even pay attention to the word of Christ. They choose to take other things from it. I'd say they're wrong to ignore His teachings, since His teachings probably would be a good place for a person identifying him/herself as Christian to start. But you don't have to reject the whole package because you disagree with part of it. I'm sure there's some part of the U.S. government you disagree with -- right? -- but you'd still identify yourself as an American citizen.

Draft saved Draft deleted