1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentaries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Jan 1, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Saw it on Max last week. Wild stuff.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched "The Greatest Night in Pop" on Netflix, the doc on how "We Are The World" came together.

Thought it was good. Went in with high expectations as a lot of folks were gushing over it. Not sure it was that great, but I enjoyed it. It was a lot more Huey Lewis than I expected, but it was 1985.

qtlaw and Dog8Cats like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really enjoyed this. I learned a bunch of tidbits that I didn't know, and I loved the footage from ths studio that I had never seen.

It's kind of wild that they basically were choosing between Cyndi Lauper and Madonna, and they chose Cyndi Lauper, but I guess Madonna in 1985 wasn't quite what she blew up to be in the years afterward. I love Cyndi Lauper and her part in We are the World is perfect, but still. Prince was. ... well, pretty much the ass Prince was. I don't even buy that it was Prince, who does what he wants to do, because even Stevie Wonder got on board (after he wouldn't return Lionel Richie's phone calls to help write the song). Speaking of, how cool was the part where Bob Dylan was really struggling with his part (he was so awkward!) and Stevie Wonder sat down at the piano and did a better Bob Dylan than Dylan to show him how to sing it. And that iconic Dylan part in the song is exactly the way Stevie had coached him to sing it! The Al Jarreau getting drunk stuff was pretty funny. I loved how Huey Lewis came off. I'm not a Springsteen fan, but man does he come off well, too. He had just finished the Born in the USA tour the night before and his voice was shot, and he caught a flight to LA in a snow storm to be there and sucked it up and sang as well as he could. Oh, and Quincy Jones's career is just ridiculous.

qtlaw, Dog8Cats and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I laughed at the part when the experimented with Swahili and Waylon Jennings pulled what might be the original “fuck this. I’m out.”

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I came away from the WATW doc thinking similar things: Huey Lewis is clearly the best of the group in a Best Guy to Have a Beer With category, and agreed on Springsteen. Seemed as genuine in the day-of doc footage as he was in the interview segments.

One more: my musical theatre daughter did a teen ensemble thing in NYC several years back, and Cyndi Lauper was one of the honorees of the thing they were performing. This is 5ish years ago. Cyndi drops by the kids rehearsal and just hangs, watches and does an impromptu Q&A. Completely unplanned. I mean, a lot of kids only knew her for Kinky Boots. But my daughter said she was the best. Just encouraging. Said, "Art is the best thing we do. Keep making art."

6. Deskgrunt50

Just finished the two-part Steve Martin documentary on Apple. Loved it.

I’ve been a big fan as long as I can remember. The course of his career is fascinating and this tells it well. His private existence is something I knew little about.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Madonna didn't really blow up huge until the end of 1984 with "Like a Virgin." Lauper was at the tail end of a boffo debut album and Whitney Houston was a year away from breaking out.

There were quite a few female solo hitmakers of the time on the record, including Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, and Kim Carnes.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There was a media outlet that did a 20-minute feature on Action Park, or Traction Park, that I think spurred the idea for the HBO series.

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

"OJ: Made in America" is now on Netflix.

10. Deskgrunt50

Highly recommend the Jim Henson documentary on Disney+. Really well done and lots of nuggets that I didn’t know.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

The Henson doc was very good. Appreciate how it wasn't a total fluff piece -- it did talk about Jim's fracture with his marriage and devoting too much to work.

The Beach Boys doc (also on Disney+) was underwhelming. Much more of a glorification piece. Barely went into the fracture of the group (the Mike Love faction vs. Brian Wilson). Briefly touched on Charles Manson, but nothing on Brian's personal issues. For some reason, it also stopped short of the group's Kokomo-era rebirth, and the deaths of the other two Wilson brothers.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Also talked about how he didn't do enough to take care of himself (working too much) and apparently died when he could've been treated and been OK.

One of craziest things to me was the absolute VIOLENCE of the early Muppets, when they were doing the D.C. show. Cartoon violence of course, but really struck me funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted