1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentaries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Jan 1, 2024.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Muppets were dark enough to count some of the cartoonists at NatLamp as fans.

Watched Let the Canary Sing on Paramount+ last night. It was...slight in some ways. I've been a fan since the 80s and have always loved her voice and creative edge.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

For those who grew up in that generation, the documentary on LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow (now on Netflix) was also very well done.

But you don't have to take my word for it.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I watched the Apple doc on the Lennon murder. I don't recommend it. Highly irresponsible.

4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Recommend "I'm Just Here for the Riot," a look at what happened in downtown Vancouver after the loss in Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. Interesting to me as a hockey fan and Canada-phile.

Lets the police off a little too easy (seems an expectation of something closer to worst-case scenario would have been wise). And the final 15 to 20 minutes, when some of the prominent bad actors are given the podium to talk about the butt hurt they suffered from social-media backlash, left me shaking the noggin.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Far too sympathetic to the meathead rioters for me.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When one person said the comments on social media were as bad as what they’d done I started yelling at the TV like Archie Bunker.

Dog8Cats and JC like this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched "Game Changers" on a flight. On the history and hosts of game shows.

Really enjoyed it. It's hosted by Alex Trebek, and was made 5-6 years ago.

maumann and playthrough like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, can I avoid going back to watch Chuck Woolery/Bill Cullen/Wink Martindale/Richard Dawson/Gene Rayburn/Monte Hall??

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Lots of great clips. And everyone on that list who was alive in 2018 was interviewed. I found it to be an enjoyable 90 minutes.

qtlaw likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I watched a minute— literally— and it looked like Alex Trebek interviewing other game show hosts, many of whom are Trumpists. So fuck that.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Netflix doc on the AshleyMadison.com data leak is pretty good. All that mess and the site is still around (and supposedly doing fine) says a lot about humans.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Just watched HBO’s four parter on Pete Rose. That dude is his own worst enemy. They asked him about the allegations that he was having sex with teenagers and his answer went from denial to “well, they were legal at the time right? And it wasn’t like I was 50 years old then.”

Draft saved Draft deleted