1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentaries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Jan 1, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

McNair was good. Fairly tight hour (which I'm appreciating more now; not every doc has to be two hours or a multi-parter) and just sad. Which you knew it would be.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My 12-year-old was riveted by this one. He couldn’t understand how they could let something so unfair happen. It was a good chance to reinforce that bad calls will happen during his games and reacting with a sly smile will go further than an exasperated helmet toss.

We also recently watched Free Solo (which I saw when it came out and wrote about after interviewing Jimmy Chin prior to the premier) and it also grabbed him. It’s one of my favorite docs ever.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

May have been commented on before. "Loopers" is a doc on caddies. Kind of light and hints at details. There are some details about The Masters.

The thing that gets me is the doc highlights a caddie scholarship fund in the Midwest ,but never mentions Francis Ouimet. How can you do a story about caddies and not include the local kid who won the US Open?

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

"Going Clear,' the terrific doc that came out of Lawrence Wright's New Yorker story and eventual book on Scientology, is on Netflix now. Highly recommend (the book is truly excellent), but you'll never watch Tom Cruise in a movie the same way again.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bigger cult, MAGA or scientologists?

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Watched "Unfit," a program about Donald Trump and his should-be candidate-canceling issues, followed by "Capitol Riot: Minute By Minute," on Amazon Prime Video last night.

Wow. Every would-be voter should see them, and both should be required viewing in schools. They really bring home the issues with Trump and candidacies and Presidency.

Draft saved Draft deleted