1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel interview on thebiglead.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

He is a good guy. He's found a schtick, plain and simple.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't know Gregg Doyel. But I have some serious problems with the "I'm not a jerk, but I play one on the Internet" concept. A columnist's opinions ought to be as true to himself as the facts he uses are true. Otherwise, he or she is a fraud.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Shocker -- another thread about Doyel.

But Michael_Gee - don't you think most readers can see through the transparent schtick? Or maybe it's me looking through my journalistic glasses, but it seems obvious Doyel does what he does to get a rise out of folks.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If they see through it, what's the point? If the purpose is to get a rise out of the ones too dumb to see through it, that strikes me as meaningless cruelty.

It may be, hope not, but may be, my columnizing days are done. I can live with this epitaph, "He never fucked anyone over just for fun."

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's outstanding Michael. I, too, have never met Mr. Doyel, so his column persona is the only thing I have to judge him by. And that says he is a first-class ass. If people believe that's what he's really like, he has no one to blame but himself. Your column should tell me what you believe. Otherwise, it's a clown show.

6. Lester Bangs

I think he would hope you'd differentiate between his column and his mailbag.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Why?

8. Lester Bangs

Just from reading, he appears to actually write standard columns, without the snarky stuff. Then there is his mailbag ...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, there's gotta be a story behind that sidesaddle.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

At least I'm hoping there is ...

And that thread would be useless without ... you know

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Streaming video?

12. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

I thought Doyel came off as an OK guy from that interview — even with the gangsta-pose picture of him and his dog.

The mailbag stuff is just mean-spirited and childish. He could be the best writer out there, and I'm not going to read his stuff because of the mailbag.

Draft saved Draft deleted