1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election 2006 -- Race By Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 2, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Russert CNBC show had Stu Rothenberg, Charlie Cook and Chuck Todd on. Cook said something that stuck with me. In each of the past few election cycles, between 67 and 85-percent of the toss-up Senate seats all went the same way. I would classify NJ, VA, TN, MO, MT as true tossups and MD and RI being close. Given that domino effect, I think you have to assume that 4-5 of those seats are going to Dems. I think that wave effect gets wins for the Dems in NJ, VA, RI, MO and MT. I think Corker has the momentum in TN and will win. I still think Steele is being underestimated. He -- along with Ford -- has been the best Senate candidate this cycle. He comes across as friendly, interesting and independent. The GOP is spending money in Michigan that should have been spent there a month ago. That money would be better spent in MD. If I ran the NRSCC (and I know I would do better than Liddy), I would spend all of my remaining $$ trying to get Steele, Talent and Corker to victory and tell everyone else they are on their own.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Allen's still breathing, though he's a clear-cut underdog.

Steele is markedly worse-off than Allen.

Ford's done.

The screamingly-tight Senate race is Missouri's.

3. http://dispatch.com/?story=dispatch/2006/11/05/20061105-A1-00.html

Ohio seems to be gone.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Ohio is going to be a bloodbath. I cannot remember a state so completely flipping in one election cycle like this.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Blackwell's been dead for months.

The biggest partisan laugh I got the entire fall was that hysterical-right "Cross Country" political-advertisement
    column run by the WSJ, which wasted a whole lot of trees licking Blackwell's boots . . . conveniently
    ignoring the fact he's a prototypical general-issue modern GOP business-first, suck-up-to-the-social-yahoos pig.
    But, hey . . . that's the WSJ.

6. I never thought I'd live to see anyone named "Taft" in Ohio with an approval rating in the teens.
    Just flabbergasting.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Crooks is crooks.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Bastard,

Thanks for picking out this race. I'm a Yarmuth supporter and attended a rally for him over the weekend. It looks promising for him, though Northup could still pull it out. This will be one of the first races called tomorrow (polls in the Ville close at 6) and it should be a harbinger of things to come later that night.

I hesitate to call a Yarmuth win an upset since Louisville is a Democrat-leaning city (Louisville makes up the entire district, except for very few precincts in the southern part of town). He also had the money to compete with Northup machine. Couple that with the fact that local Dems aren't enthralled with the President right now and you have a recipe for victory.

We can't vote Bush out, but we can send W a signal by voting out someone who voted for his policies more than 90 percent of the time. That's why I think Yarmuth will win.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Northup's a smoother speaker, but she's the prototypical rich Bush tool. Would love to see her
    sent home.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hack, every voter had that chance to send a message in '04, but didn't. Most of us knew where all of this was going, but we kept the blinders on. Now voters want to circle the wagons and finally fight back. In an elitist sense, to correspond with the voter thread, we don't care if it's happening to someone else. Only when something happens to us directly, then we get around to making ourselves be heard.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There's a good chance that if she loses, she'll try to unseat the unpopular GOP governor.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Internals show the abortion ban being defeated in SD, with the gay marriage amendment too close to call.

Medical marijuana will be burned down in crushing defeat.

Just thought I'd drop some inside poop on y'all.

Draft saved Draft deleted