1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

“Under my SJ, you will have the right to call any woman a 6 without fear of repercussions”
    Someone says that Grimes is a 6
    “You place my family in danger of imminent bodily harm with your chauvinism. You are permanently banned”

maumann, Dyno, garrow and 2 others like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m old enough to remember when Ma Bell posted a thick book of assassination coordinates of everybody in the area.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Got any evidence to back that up? I've worked in larger newsrooms and we reduced our Twitter efforts because it wasn't worth the time spent.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Eh, Ma Bell got the Illcommunication

dixiehack likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You need a punctuation intervention.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Johnny Fever knew it.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I thought everyone was being overly dramatic a month ago with regard to Musk's takeover.

I was wrong. This has been a way larger disaster than I predicted. I can't fathom anything replacing the daily discourse Twitter provides. Even if Twitter still isn't very close to "not existing" it's a hell of a lot closer than I would have ever imagined.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s means of communication for one thing.

It’s a brand builder, for another.

Whether it drives a ton of traffic or not - and it usually doesn't - isn't that material. It's the place where journalists hang out for hours.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Journalists can do what they want with their free time. IMO the app is pretty much an echo chamber anymore, with the same few hundred “big names” tweeting and retweeting about the same stuff. But if they choose scrolling Twitter all night long over watching Jeopardy, more power to them.

Media companies were reducing their Twitter efforts long before Elon Musk bought it. A lot of times their Twitter feeds are now just headline feeds or maybe RTs if their reporters’ tweets. Maybe my former employers were short-sighted and lazy, which I wouldn’t put behind them.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The practice of journalism would improve without Twitter.

I'm not sure how some national reporters function without it, though. It's where they break their news.

TigerVols and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Remember this, from Alma's favorite opinion section?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted