1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tech, like music, is generational. Facebook began, Twitter, begat TikTok. Every generation seems to embrace a platform that is "theirs." Is there anything special about Twitter that can't be duplicated/improved on by another messaging app? If this means social media "influencers" will have less influence in the future, I'm all for it. Twitter is the NCIS of social media.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Means he wasted about $43 billion.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because it is this particular charlatan, I think you still need to place decent odds on the financing falling through and the deal getting blown up. I hope they put in a clause that makes him pay up to them if that happens.

Keep this in mind too. Their board put in the poison pill to buy time, presumably shopped the company around trying to find a white knight and found no one willing to pay anything close, but then suddenly seemed in a rush to accept his offer. They are set to announce earnings this week. You wonder if they know something?

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Might be more of a case of, "Well, we don't have the financing to stop it, so let's cash in while we can!"

misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I figure each of these are equally likely outcomes:

* Makes good on the purchase.
    * Decides next month he is investing in Antarctic real estate instead.
    * Demands to put up the purchase price in some newly-minted meme crypto.
    * Livestreams himself blasting off to Neptune.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s really just a matter of what level of suck Twitter will become. Same suck. Less suck. More suck.

If he actually got rid of bots and stopped anonymous shit/flame posting (not likely) that would be good.

Regardless, Twitter will continue to suck.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For anyone who owns Tesla stock. ... Keep in mind that you are now leveraged to Twitter, not just the car company, because if the price of Tesla stock drops and he gets hit with a margin call, it has serious potential to create a downward spiral.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Trump : Republicans :: Elon : Tech Libertarians. It's kind of amazing how devoted they are to him - ran into one in Denver last week, friend of my wife, who was insisting that Musk was the most brilliant engineer of the 21st Century, and how it was the fault of "the media" that his brilliance wasn't properly conveyed.

Anyway, the buying of Twitter seems to solely be an ego play, but that's kind of worrisome to me. Zuckerberg sucks at running FB, but he's at least a soulless robot concerned mostly with profit. The prospect of a guy with an immense ego running a social media network doesn't seem like a great thing to me.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but Trump will be able to tweet his stupidity!

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Already said he's not returning. could be lying but he said he wasn't going back.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So do you believe Trump?

OscarMadison, garrow and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted