1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

upload_2023-7-2_5-45-25.png

upload_2023-7-2_5-43-50.png

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He does what he thinks will get people talking about his companies. ... because he thinks that any publicity is good publicity. As long as Twitter is getting stories written about it today, and people talking about him, he thinks it is a positive.

It's been his Tesla playbook for more than a decade. I used to point it out on that EV thread all the time.

He used to make outlandish promises about Tesla -- and because back then people thought he was a profit and a genius, a lot of people would fall for his bullshit, hook, line and sinker.

I always thought it was simply about garnering a headline that day and trying to build hype, because he knew that people would forget his old antics and move along to a new antics after it all faded.

I would bet with certainty that this is about 1) him getting attention and 2) him thinking that people talking about Twitter, no matter the context.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a lot of people saying "Ok, I've hit my bullshit limit, look for me on Post (or wherever)". Also a good number of people complaining that their number of followers have fallen, which is suspect is for the same reason.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is publicity akin to every Tesla owner complaining the car wouldn't start this morning.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are right, of course. I really just think he's clueless, like he buys into the P.T. Barnum maxim that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Or the Oscar Wilde version that there's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. I think that is Elon Musk in a nutshell.

You are right. It would seem downright stupid to limit access to a social media platform that at least as of today is more advertising driven than anything in terms of the revenue it is pulling in. It also threatens to annoy some people enough that they leave and don't come back. And he needs that user engagement to drive revenue.

I think he's that short-sighted, though.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Well, I'm glad I didn't lend him any money to buy Twitter.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don’t want to use up my precious access to seeing Tweets today by going back to post the screenshot, but I saw that Elmo posted overnight something to the effect of “get off your phone and go spend time with your family and friends,” which is, of course, EXACTLY the message Twitter’s advertisers want to see.

HanSenSE, Webster and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

eLoN fIrEd EvErYoNe AnD tWiTtEr KePt RuNnInG

Pilot likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Again, he bought the playground and the balls so he can make everyone listen to all of his whims. That is what he cares about more than anything.

sgreenwell and Dyno like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I assume the next thing he’ll add is only white, male property owners with children can vote.

Webster and garrow like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted