1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Elon's money folks (Russians, Saudis) are licking their chops. China is happy to see Twitter disappear.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good Tebow, I hope he didn't jinx it.

garrow likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As a side note, I signed up for twitter a year or two ago when I could no longer read replies. I signed up through my google account. I've never commented, never followed anyone, never liked anything, never dm'd and nobody has dm'd me. I've never done one thing on twitter. There are probably 5-10 people I want to read, so I bookmark them. I am sure that it's bass-ackwards, but that's all I want from twitter.

But this woman highlights the angst people have. She has 58k followers, and I bet they are like gold to her. If twitter goes down the shitter, she is going to have a hard time accruing another 58k to read her bon mots, and it is a blow to her ego.

I've just never gotten the fascination with twitter.

Slacker and FileNotFound like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

When I got on it I followed a whole bunch of people that I found interesting. That started with print and electronic journalists, authors and reviewers, critics, etc. Add basically anyone I found interesting in music and pop culture, aggregators, all sorts of sports info. Then add years of hitting the Follow button on little people I found, or big people where you hit your forehead and say "Of course i should follow him!". I'm following 1,500 people and 300 follow me. Follows get what I hit retweet on, maybe one in ten gets a quote tweet. I scan my feed and mine it for shiny things.

OTOH, links to substantive articles do show up in there, too.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you don't find tons of relevant info that's interesting to you on Twitter, you're doing it way wrong. For example, there was a wildfire near me yesterday and I got an EMS alert on my phone, which linked me to a completely useless Cal Fire website. One minute on Twitter and I had all the info I needed.

Neutral Corner and garrow like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s rare to have a “you’d have to know the business” moment on this board any more, but this is one. We might not like to admit it, but those of us who were/are journalists get a rush out of floating our words into the universe for mass consumption.

SFIND, FileNotFound and poindexter like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Curious to see where, if anywhere, this goes.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll admit there was . . . when you perhaps felt a twinge of exclusivity in being able to do that. That was at least a generation ago.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He’s more upset that they actually got paid right before closing. Which is of course standard in these types of transactions, especially where the new owner might stiff the seller’s lawyers.

Wachtell might be the best M&A firm in the country. So of course, Elon is spreading conspiracy theories that this lawsuit will be rigged against him because the firm has former Delaware Chancery judges among its partners. And of course the blue check brigade is lapping it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted