1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's had mucho mucho government help, but the fact remains Space X and Tesla are going concerns -- until now. It's possible he's always been a fraud, but it seems to me more likely Musk was a guy who had some big ideas that more or less happened and started thinking he was a genius about everything, which he isn't because no one is. Entrepreneurship and big-time corporate finance may seem the same, but they are entirely different skill sets.

wicked, Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

dixiehack and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is what I have been posting.

They have a bit of a prisoner's dilemma, because if he walks away, the next two years are going to be hell for that board and whoever is in the C suite while they litigate.

But even with how much the price of Twitter stock has come back since he created the uncertainty, it's still trading at between 150 and 200 times earnings. I know it's meaningless to a lot of people when I talk about valuations (which got way out of whack due to Fed policy since the financial crisis), but as I type this, by comparison Facebook is trading at about 16 times earnings (it has come back a lot with the bubble popping, and the stock is down close to 50 percent from its peak). If Twitter was being valued at a similar multiple -- and it's not growing the way that Facebook still even is, which is why I think that would still be a rich valuation -- its stock price would be more than 90 percent lower than what it is today. That is the magnitude of how much an overpay Musk's offer was. Twitter's owners hit the jackpot.

I'd guess they are sitting there deciding how much they would be willing to take below what he owes them to just get it done. I wonder if privately they have even had that conversation with him. But if he has sobered up to the fact that he overpaid by 50 to 75 percent (at the least) and thinks they are going to come down there, they have no incentive except to tell him pay up or see them in court.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this fucking guy

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

ElonMusk acts like how I would act if I had $50 billion.

That is a very bad thing.

I’d try to buy stuff that lost money out of sentimentality like newspapers and Kmart, try to produce things that make zero emissions like turbocharged Segways, mess up and then passively-agressively try to smite anyone who crossed me in the process.

This is not a good strategy.

7. The Big Ragu

Billions of dollars worth of subsidies and interest-free loans to SolarCity, SpaceX and Tesla over the years, most of it made possible by legislation that was pushed by Democrats. Milllions of dollars of lobbying from SpaceX and Tesla a year. Hundreds of thousands dollars worth of campaign contributions a year, overwhelmingly given to Democrats.

He is no longer a democrat, because they aren't open for business to benefit him anymore. So he is willing to toss them overboard, just like that.

BTW, I am not using the word subsidy loosely the way others do. I'm not talking about a tax code provision that reduced what they had to hand over (if they had earned anything, which his companies mostly haven't done over time). I mean money that his companies didn't earn that was given to them.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

tweeter will not survive discovery elon a step ahead crypto to the moon

Justin_Rice likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I bet sometime in the near future he brings up the idea of amending the Constitution to allow foreign-born people to serve as President.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's no longer a Democrat because they want him to pay his share of taxes.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

That too. He was fine when he didn't earn any income. All of his wealth is tied up in Tesla stock, which until recently he had never sold. With interest rates negative in real terms, he has borrowed heavily against the value of his stock, and that is not a taxable event.

Cap gains are one thing, he'll actually have to pay some tax this year. But some of the democrats have been talking about a wealth tax (unconstitutional, but different conversation) that would potentially hit him on the value of his unrealized gains.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Musk's real beef with the Democrats is the party's support for unions. Meanwhile, the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has just ruled that the SEC is unconstitutional, and that Congress must be the sole body responsible for enforcing the securities laws (and presumably other laws) it passes. So he's off the hook vis a vis the law until and unless the Supremes overrule this somewhat sweeping opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted