1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

In Soviet Chatham, boatyard owns *you*!

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If you're a commercial trucker or doing something like that, sure. Hauling from City A to City B, yeah, probably makes sense to still use gasoline. But otherwise... A residential recharger is around $500 to $1,500, and a quick Google search says a decent commercial one can be installed for $3,000 to $6,000. USPS should switch to an all-electric fleet ASAP, but they keep punting on what their "next generation" vehicle will be, hence why they're still using tin boxes with no air conditioning from the 1990s.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There’s a natural gas truck company in the town I live that lost out on the USPS truck contract. I was interested to see if they had a shot.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another to watch with the electrics is tire wear. They go quicker thanks to the weight of the batteries vs fuel vehicles.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think Hankook is advertising special tires for electric vehicles now.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That would make sense. Denser, longer wearing tires. A proper electric sports car will be fun, with all that immediate torque. But then you have to compromise between soft grippy tires and wearing them out too fast.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Chuckling (I overlooked this) ... it's a sloop.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There was a lot of criticism from environmental people that USPS /DeJoy didn’t order electric vehicles for the fleet. It’s a perfect scenario for it, lots of stops and you’re often local.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A) There's always a lot of criticism from environmental people.
    2) That part of the scenario might be perfect for it, but there's usually more to the scenario (e.g., maintenance of the new fleet) than just that part.

maumann and TigerVols like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, USPS isn't doing maintenance on their own fleet as is. They're pretty much the ideal organization to try some combination of solar and electric, for economic and environmental reasons.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dear Twitter,

I was a dumbass who puffed out his chest and did a P.T. Barnum act, and I suckered myself into agreeing to buy your company for billions of dollars more than what it is actually objectively worth.

Now, I am having buyer's remorse, because I look more and more idiotic by the day as equity valuations drop off a cliff.

So now I am threatening to tie you up in litigation for years making you force me to make good on what I agreed to, in the hope that you'll decide that the time and financial cost of that is greater than agreeing to a lower price.

Sincerely a dick,

Elon Musk

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted