1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He has such a punchable face.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The top hotels and restaurants of my old home town are about to have a boom as multi-thousand dollar an hour lawyers descend on Wilmington, Del. and the Delaware Court of Chancery armed with the finest expense accounts.

Hermes, HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Jim Cramer is an idiot.

2) But .. .. What I was saying when the deal was announced. He offered to pay way more than it was worth. ... Offered, didn't negotiate, wasn't in a bidding war of some sort. The reason is that he was made fabulously wealthy by a cheap-money Fed-inducd bubble that put the value of Tesla stock @ a multiple in crazyland and he started to believe he is a financial genius, not a guy who hit a jackpot (that wasn't due to him and his brilliance as people think). The Fed has spent the last 15 years or so (after the financial crisis) doing things that have benefited people like him (survival of the unfittest). If he was half as smart as people think he is (and I think he has a brilliant mind, he's just a bullshit artist and has confused his luck plus shenanagins with knowing something) he would have realized that the Tesla stock he is using as the currency to act the way he does is on thin ice. And amazingly, right after he did his PT Barnum act and made a binding offer on Twitter, the Fed started to pull the plug (stopped expanding the balance sheet, has made halting attempts to raise their target rate) and it has started to deflate the stock market bubble. As a result, he has a binding offer to buy a company worth maybe $15 to $20 a share in the current environment for $54.20 a share, and worse, the source of his wealth (Tesla stock, to the extent he hasn't sold billions of dollars worth) is losing its value as the bubble deflates (which he now appears to know, thus trying to get out of the deal).

3) What I also anticipated when he started to trying to back out. It would have made sense for Twitter to renegotiate A LITTLE to avoid having to tie themselves up in litigation and put a cloud over the stock. But his offer was so ridiculous, that they will never be able to sell the company for even 60 percent of what he offered, so they almost have to take his ass to court. There is tens of billions of dollars on the line for the current equity holders, and no matter what Skaden Arps does to try to drown the company in motions on Musk's behalf, he has no legit case for reneging on the deal. It sucks that Twitter is going to have to absorb a ton in legal fees, and because our judicial system is so screwed up, they can't count on the right thing happening. But honestly, a jury of kindergartners could decide it in 5 minutes.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Someone makes an ass of themselves in public; quote leaked from Trump people saying TFG called the guy a "loser" or an "idiot"; lather, rinse, repeat.

That said, I know it'll never happen, but I'd love for Elon Musk to end up living under a bridge in Hoboken.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the cosmetic surgery stage.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think Elon broke Twitter. It's down now and when I tried to find my workplace's account it says it doesn't exist. Ugh. Not what I needed today.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It’s down across the board, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted