1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

It’s the same thing the media did for trump for decades. Every ridiculous statement was treated as truth and never brought up afterward.

heyabbott, wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody treated it as truth.

If anything, it was quite the opposite. The general tenor of the coverage has been, "Oh, the huckster is at it again."

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Next, somebody will probably try to claim that Musk’s plans to augment the team’s roster with Russian bots also is untrue.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Damn. I woke up in the stupid timeline again. Wake me up when Elon Musk is upselling large fries in Branson MO.

Seriously, it seems like we've regressed to some feudal ideal where the wealthiest is the worthiest of attention.

I blame Mark Burnett.

Edited to add: Rich Fulcher is funnier than Elon Musk.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Outside of New York, not so much.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fair. I should probably clarify that the reason trump became seen as a shrewd businessman was because many people who read the stories didn’t get the sarcasm or read past the headlines. “Trump wrote a book, it must be good.” “They made a board game!” “He owns an airline!” “He was on Oprah!” Plus, he was always able to find some reporter who would give him inches or airtime. He pretty much roamed lower Manhattan after 9-11, trying to be interviewed.

It’s becoming the same thing with musk.

Webster and OscarMadison like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If wouldn’t wish that Mark Burnett gets pancreatic cancer, but if he did, I wouldn’t not smile

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe the financial press felt compelled to write a story, but that doesn’t mean sportswriters not working for clickbait sites had to play along with such transparent bullshit.

garrow, jlee and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

wicked and garrow like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No thanks.

At some point "national security" became an all-inclusive, go-to rationale for people who constantly want to restrict the free flow of information (and tangible things too, actually).

And no, Twitter isn't a threat to democracy. People's stupidity is maybe a threat to democracy, although that isn't new. Democracy is difficult to maintain.

Even if Twitter can be used to disseminate lies and propaganda, the actual threat to democracy is a person who wants to use the ability to spread lies and propaganda on Twitter as a rationale to try to control or regulate the flow of information.

Lies and propaganda are ideas. Try to counter ideas you don't like with. ... better ideas. That is how democracy actually thrives.

Draft saved Draft deleted