1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Funny -- in a laughed-until-my-gums-bled kinda way -- how that played out.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I honestly don't get the over-the-top hand-wringing over what went down today.

If Twitter changes in a way I don't like, I will stop using Twitter. And it will not affect my life in any way.

People just need to settle down.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m beginning to regret spending so much money on Musk cologne when I was a lad.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I wish Ed Muskie had been as a big of a deal as this textbook techbro.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Has Tesla made a dime? I thought they were financed to the hilt.

As for Twitter and disinformation... maybe 5 percent of the country tweets. I'd bet 80 percent uses Facebook daily. Anyone who's on Twitter already knows that a.) there's a lot of bullshit floating around or b.) they're the ones dishing out the bullshit.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... and every time I sing this song I think of Henry Kissinger."

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

They know what you and I know, Twitter was trading above 70 last year and THAT is the high water mark it needs to reach if they reject Musk’s offer. The poison pill kept Musk from dicking around and trying to play games outside of a legit offer for the full company.

And Musk paid a premium today but a discount last year, so I don’t think it’s a wasted investment. Hell, DWAC is worth more than a billion based on a social media platform that barely exists. There will be another irrational boom and Musk can take advantage.

I know, I know, fundamentals, but when has a Musk investment ever been about fundamentals? Just another bubble in a market that is nothing but.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Think of it this way: You use Twitter.

To some of the folks flipping out today, they know Twitter uses them to amplify certain voices and opinions through algorithms.

They may lose the platform Twitter gave them because the algorithms change.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it you (a) only use your real name on Twitter and (b) have never sent a DM to someone that you don’t want revealed to the world.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Accelerating and widening the unmoderated distribution of misinformation, disinformation and hate speech is bad for everyone everywhere - not just Twitter users.

Opinion | Elon Musk Is a Problem Masquerading as a Solution

Buying Twitter, Elon Musk Will Face Reality of His Free-Speech Talk

Opinion | Musk’s Twitter: Weed Memes. Editable Tweets. And the Return of Trump.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted