1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I see the stock character techno-billionaire playboy who turns out to be the villain in every low-rent cartoon and pre-teen comedy I endure on Netflix for the sake of my daughter.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Private market valuations have been pretty insane, too. Plenty of ways to extract value. Especially if you’re Elon Musk.

OR it’s his hobby horse and all is good so long as it generates enough cash to service the debt, yeah? That’s nowhere near a lock but still on th table.

It’s definitely risky, but I also think at a certain point Musk has a lot of leverage. Tesla’s valuation is based largely on his cult of personality, so he has a nuclear option with that collateral.

I’m far from an Elonophile but…. ::gestures toward the last decade:: … he seems to know how to get what he wants. Someone told him he has 270 billion dollars and he plans to spend them, the rest is just details.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Or are you talking about William Atherton, who made a career of playing prissy, pissy legal types?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd have a lot of fun in life with 250 billion dollars.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They really are.
    I spend a portion of every day working in digital marketing. An advertiser's experience in Facebook/Instagram or Twitter is so different compared to Google. The former have overly complex and poorly designed user experiences, and absolutely zero customer support, while Google has an easy-to-use dashboard, and round-the clock, instant access to CSR.

But what about results? You can't overstate how poorly Facebook advertising performs these days. I was just at a digital marketing convention and EVERYONE has slashed their FB advertising budgets because the ROI has increased so much. I can't comment about Twitter advertising because I know literally no one who uses it.

On the other hand, lots of folks were talking about how Google's new advertising platform, called Performance Max, is revolutionary. It's been called "Facebook circa 2013" and the results we're seeing with our advertising is proving them correct.

What makes Performance Max (which I say sounds like those pills they sell at registers in liquor stores) so effective? It leverages ALL data in the Google universe...not just where you clicked or where you visited. P-Max uses personal data from G-mail, Google Sheets, Google Docs, YouTube, and all other Google sources to tailor audiences for your advertising. I heard one expert say, "Google was smart. They let FB take the lead for a couple of years and then take the hit on personal data protection controversy, so that they could then step in and fill the gap without anyone noticing..."

Plus, Alphabet and Apple have a surprisingly symbiotic relationship so we don't expect to see a future iOS fuck Google like 15 did Facebook.

MileHigh and Azrael like this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

“Cars that don’t especially work?” Que?

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Big Ragu-

You're an 'Elon' fanboy - I am jolted into amazement.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Cars should never be put on top of the range. They catch fire!

OscarMadison and jlee like this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Tesla does so bad in "initial quality" surveys that it will not allow JD Power to survey the owners.

Draft saved Draft deleted