1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

bigpern-

These Tesla vehicular fire stories have been all over financial news for years.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd never turn on a computer again with that kind of money. Never mind buying any kind of online platform.

wicked likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What you could have simply said ... "That's not right. At all."

#didIdothatcorrectly?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

yes but what about the new class of libertarian electrics

SFIND and Azrael like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm just as surprised as you are:

https://www.ericpetersautos.com

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That’s a better argument than Octave made. It got me looking up Tesla’s reliability ratings (which are dismal) and I noticed something funny. Despite the lousy reliability, owner satisfaction ratings remain quite high. Kind of reminds me how Ragu always points out that Tesla’s stock price defies fundamentals, yet investors love it.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SFIND and bumpy mcgee like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen stories about cars catching fire by damn near every automaker over the years.

PCLoadLetter made your argument for you. When they are on the road, they’re fantastic vehicles, but I’ll concede the point, because obviously they spend a lot of time in the shop.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much Chinese or Russian money is propping up Elon Musk?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a car company that has sold around 300,000 cars in the U.S. each of the last 2 years. Owner satisfaction has remained so high in the face of quality issues, because most of the people buying them are shopping for a status symbol more than they are really shopping for a car.

As for the stock, of course people have loved it. A lot of people have leveraged themselves to the hilt and ridden it to the moon in an era of unprecedented liquidity. I think the majority of those "investors" don't realize that they are actually traders, not investors, and my question is how much will they love a car company that trades at more than 200 times earnings (GM, which sold almost 15 times more cars last year trades at less than 6 times earnings), if the liquidity is being drained from markets, ostensibly because the people who created all of that love for Tesla stock (and all kinds of other malinvestment) feel forced to deal with the runaway inflation it all caused, and the momentum in Tesla's stock heads rapidly in the other direction.

SFIND, TigerVols and wicked like this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Tesla drivers are almost as cult-ish as Apple users (and I count myself among the latter.)

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted