1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Don't know if this should be a separate thread or not, but if earlier today you were on the Web site of The Daily World in Opelousas, La., you would have seen a link that right now appears on Google as:

Heads or Tails: Saban has burned his bridges
    Opelousas Daily World, LA - 4 hours ago
    Nick Saban didn’t like his assistant coaches to talk to the media while he was at LSU or with the Miami Dolphins. After his words over the past couple of ...

Now, if you click on the link, you get:

The column that had appeared in this space was inaccurate and has been removed.

The columnist apparently fell victim to an Internet hoax in which an e-mail contained fabricated quotes attributed to Saban. There is a report on finebaum.com about it because the basis for much of the column was a series of comments Saban supposedly made to Finebaum -- but that Finebaum says never happened.

Saban hatred has spawned a lot of these hoaxes, and the columnist made the mistake of believing one of them and writing about it without checking it out.

That's two major mistakes in judgment I've seen online by Louisiana Gannett in the last three weeks.

Anyway, I've a feeling Saban isn't going to be in a hurry to spend any extra time around the media anytime soon.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When you just grab off the internets and slap it in the paper, it pays to be careful.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

An aspect that's getting little play on this thread is that Saban said what he said.
    He used the term "coon-ass" that is apparently offending to a certain group of people.
    He uses this term in his everyday vernacular, by the sound of the tape.
    It'd be like someone who uses the N-word or spic (for Latin people) or kike (for Jewish folks) in their everyday vernacular.
    Do I think Nick is racist? Nope.
    But he indeed uses this word in his everyday vernacular.
    I don't think "coon-ass" is as offending as the other names I've cited. But it's offensive to some folks nonetheless

4. This thread is why This Board Sucks.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Read this thread and see if you feel the same way.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36807/

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was established that it's a term of endearment among cajuns, having nothing at all to do with the slur that most people believe it to be.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sometimes linguists know the origin of a word and are so focused on what it meant 100 years ago that they can't see that language is organic and evolving and that the word now means something quite different (or at least it has a much different context and public acceptance). I suspect this is one of those times.

8. Oh bullshit. If Van was here, he's tell you all to quit acting like babies and go do some work.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's one of those terms that can be used affectionately or used as a slur, depending on the context.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Not that it means anything, but I've found this humorous ... They came on here with such disdain for SportsJournalists.com, but I've seen Ethan and Jemele lurking on here on and off all day. Both are on right now.

Hey, Ethan, I thought you said coming on here was a waste of time. Make sure to wear long sleeves from now on so your SportsJournalists.com track marks don't show.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

You were hated on the playground, weren't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted