1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN cross-promoting themselves?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mediator rang in with the answer.

Lots of variations possible when a writer with a steady job (newspaper/magazine) takes up a book. Some of it depends on the nature of the book. Some on the size of the advance. Some on the flexibility of the employer(s).

If the writer can deliver fresh content to both bosses, without duplication, they might even agree to split expenses on certain things.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think newspapers, long ago, should have promoted themselves.
    Usually, the first depatment cut was marketing/promotions and circulation.
    That decision has turned out so well.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lupica begs to differ.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I might be reading the story wrong, but how is this cross-promoting? ESPN didn't publish the book, which was criticized on the air by Sutcliffe and refuted by Kurkjian.

Is the issue that Ian shouldn't be allowed to promote or be interviewed about his book on ESPN, because it might be construed as publicity for ESPN? Seems silly, especially since half the discussion about the book turned out to be negative.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe next week Mr. Mushnick can use a ruler to measure the number of column inches the NY Post expends each week on 'American Idol,' another News Corp property.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mushnick is better than most at biting the hand that feed him. He's criticized the Post time after time for accepting certain advertisers (handicappers, strip clubs, etc.)

And, while I'm not a fan of American Idol, and hate "news" coverage of it, it's not like FOX properties are the only ones that "cover" it.

All of the networks have compromised their news divisions, but Disney is relentless in using every property they own to cross promote.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Then I imagine he failed miserably. He got a good advance, I'm sure, and he'll have a month or so of good publicity and sales will be strong. Then the book will fade away, destined for the cutout bins in 18-24 months. I'll be surprised if he sees a single royalty check. If he was doing interviews while he was at the Record in 2009, then he spent close to, if not more than, two years working on the book. If he ever sat down and did the math, he'd probably figure out he got less than minimum wage per hour.

As for the column:

A.) Shocking that Bob Raissman would tackle this in such a dry, humorless and suffocatingly self-serious manner.

B.) Even less shocking that Rick Sutcliffe is sucking at the teat of a ballplayer and condescendingly dismissing O'Connor's work. The worst analyst working, by a country mile, now that Joe Morgan has been put out to pasture.

C.) The more Jeter distances himself from the project, the more I want to read it, even if I'm sure the real dirt on the Teflon Captain won't be aired for decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted