1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN good guys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Overrated, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ron Franklin. Maybe it's because I grew up in Texas but to me he's one of the great underrated play-by-play guys.

Off the top of my head I can stand Bob Ley, Rece Davis, the College GameDay gang, Brad Nessler, Dave Barnett, Dan Schulman, Chris McKendry, Buster Olney, and Gammons. Kornhesier and Wilbon are sportswriters first so I don't think of them as ESPN guys (although I guess you could say that about Gammons and Olney too).

I can also definitely stand Erin Andrews with my mute button activated.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

In my dealings with the guy, Mike Tirico has always been a great person to work with, especially in getting ready for a game. He would call a couple of times before the game for notes and updates and was always pleasant. After the game, he even sent a thank you note.

I had dinner with him one time (along with a mutual friend) and it was a great night. Stories all night about working at ESPN, etc.

Then a couple of weeks later I hear the myriad of stories about Mike's "problem" with women at ESPN and I guess I couldn't have been more wrong about a person. It's amazing.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Scott Van Pelt yet. Pretty good golf guy, I think, and he doesn't have any of the batshit crazy schtick ESPN's dopes are known for. I'll go ahead and throw Andy North in there too.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You go with what you know...

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only show ESPN hasn't managed to fuck up is College Football GameDay. Still a must watch on Saturday mornings.

In terms of the people, Fowler, Herbstreit, Cyphers and, I'm not kidding, Corso have all be super guys in my limited dealings with them.

Forde's a great guy too. But I knew him before he jumped to ESPN.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm strictly Will Rogers: Haven't met an ESPN type I didn't like. (Completely counter to my disposition if you haven't figured that out.)

Schaap is a prince and, truth be told, very funny and self-deprecating. What was said earlier about the producers is absolutely true. The editors at The Mag are likewise great to work with--the most supportive workplace I've been around (though that wouldn't be saying much).

I'm sure there are some jerks somewhere in the Supposedly Evil Empire--and some of TV guys leave me absolutely cold--but I'm a lifetime 0-fer crossing paths with them.

YHS, etc

7. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Among others mentioned already...Tom Rinaldi is a pretty solid reporter.

8. cortez

cortez Member

Brian Kenny is a good interviewer on ESPN New. he just needs to lay off the sabremetrics.
    Suzie Kolber? Even her car commercial annoys me
    Jay Harris? Good guy. Went to college with him at ODU

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Loved Dick Schaap, RIP. A close friend of mine is in production at ESPN and yes, he is a good guy.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I know one person who I care not to work with. . .

Digger Phelps.

Thank God he isn't doing any games anymore because he is the laziest analyst ever (he would come to practice the game before, hand a stack of index cards to the SID and say, "please put a couple of notes about each guy on these."

Amazing!!!!

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Digger is a blow hard fraud. True that.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My one dealing with Tirico was good. Had to do an advance color piece on the Thursday night crew coming to small town, and he was very pleasant and generous with his time.

Also, props to Forde, who I think would personally find it funny that people are giving him props for being a good guy despite being a "star." That's why he's a good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted