1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN looking for folks

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JayFarrar, Jan 30, 2008.

1. FirstDown

FirstDown Guest

What do people hear about the stats associate jobs? Anyone know how hard those are to get, and what kind of turnover there is at the position? ... And someone brought up expensive housing in Bristol — what is the cheapest/tolerable studio someone can get, would you say?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was offered a condo for $1,100 a month I was going to share with my friend. But they told me that was a really good deal -- back in 2005. That area is pretty expensive.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I am just saying if you can get one of the gigs and find cheap studio/apartment why not work for 6 months and get a better gig at another place.

Having ESPN on your resume got to mean something for a journalist.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The thing with some of those jobs is that they're not writing, so you'd have no clips -- aside from anything compiled at college -- to take to another place when you're finished.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Yeah your right about that. But I was thinking of more of the writing gigs and maybe the PA job. I know The Sports Network is looking for stat people right now. So if you get that gig after 6 months you can move and work with them.

Also anyone know if ESPN will help you with housing or to get you to Bristol?

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

All this talk of bolstering your resume. . .

Since when do resumes mean anything in this business? If you're good enough to get a reporting/writing job with ESPN on your resume, you're good enough to get one without it. And in any case, you're better off getting a decent internship at a newspaper. And if you're not good enough to get a decent internship at a newspaper, having ESPN on your resume isn't going to help you.

I've heard the horror stories about this job. The only upsides: you'll meet a lot of people, you'll learn how to work hard, and in 10 years you'll be able to tell people about the time Dana Jacobson puked on your shoes after swilling vodka from a funnel.

Seriously. . .want to work for ESPN? Easiest way is to make yourself marketable in newspapers or at a smaller TV station. Want to work for a newspaper? Don't take this job.

Just my .02

7. FirstDown

FirstDown Guest

Thank you for the input. Shame to see there is such aprehension about the job(s). Anyone on here used to be a stats associate and knows what that was like, specifically, compared to the other jobs they've posted? Thanks again.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Knew a guy who worked there for a year and a half at a similar position. Said it was fine for the first six months or so, but then it just started to wear on him too much. I think it's a fine starting/short-term deal.

9. Larrbear

Larrbear Member

I'm currently in the program.

I play less than 600 a month and have a very tolerable studio.

10. danhawks

danhawks Member

More than a 50% pay bump from when I went through that wringer in 1997...not bad. Be ready for lots of 6 day weeks...and when you have a night off, it'll be Tuesday...count on it.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

If your in the program tell us more about what you do and how it is and all that good stuff. PM me the info if you don't want to make it public.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Sports Network is the biggest fucking joke on the planet. It's the Berkshire Beacon of websites.

As for living arrangements...I get a kick out of Bristol being talked about as if it's some suburban version of NYC. It's fucking Bristol. And if it's somehow gotten more pricey than I remembered, you can live 20 minutes away in almost every direction at quite affordable rates.

Draft saved Draft deleted