1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN pay cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 13, 2020.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Much like Howard Stern. Making boatloads of money, but he's no longer the It guy. Mad Dog Russo had to navigate his way back to spots on ESPN & MLB Network to find the audience he lost when he went satellite.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think that Steven A. is all that comparable to Stern, who essentially had to fight hard to build his audience. I think he's more like a Tucker Carlson, who got to benefit from an initial huge platform and user base. I think he quickly becomes irrelevant once he leaves ESPN. It's not like he's some Simmons or LeBatard type that's shown a ton of interest in building up a vertical.

Fdufta and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Stephen A needs ESPN as much as ESPN needs him. He's a 24/7, 365 pot-stirrer. Hell, ESPN shows clips of him entering the building for NBA playoff games. Is he a journalist? Not really, but he represents the average fan, he provides a narrative to the network, a guide for what sports fans should be interested in. He's probably the "one" common thread that runs through all of the network's offerings. Which IS really important.

Readallover likes this.
  4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I got real excited until I got to this part ...

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Joe Tessitore "elite?" Really?

MileHigh likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So "elite" that he only lasted one season on Monday Night Football.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Had trouble making it past the "Star announcer" reference in the headline.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't drag me but I don't hate him on college football. He's a goofball but kinda fits there. Not quite as obnoxious as Gus Johnson (how's that for a low bar). Definitely no good on MNF.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m with you. Doesn’t bother me at all. Plus my wife and I will laugh until we’re in tears every time they show him on camera - his “who farted?” expression on his face is fantastic. She knows him only as Fartface.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

And he's a primary reason why I no longer watch non-game programming on ESPN. His volume and inflections make me think I'm watching an infomercial with Tony Little or Andrew Lesko, circa 1997 or so. I hate the FS1 chatterboxes for the same reason, but Stephen A. Smith seems to know only one volume.

Draft saved Draft deleted