1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN pay cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 13, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not "that guy" - but I was surprised to be watching SC after the first US Open semi and anchor Ell Duncan was wearing a strapless dress behind the desk. Really? I mean, I guess with McAfee wearing tank tops all the time, all bets are off for the dress code monitors. Guess she wore it earlier on First Take as well.

Elle Duncan stuns with strapless First Take outfit in backstage selfie

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’m stunned anyone cares.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's not news. It's The Sun desperately chasing clicks.

4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

It seems like you are indeed "that guy."

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"I'm not that guy".... proceeds to be "that guy".

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I saw her on sportscenter friday, I think when she was wearing that. She looked incredible. It was a frigging dress, for pete's sake.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a nice dress - just surprised to see a strapless dress for anchoring. To me, its too casual of a look, that's all. I'm a big believer in the "we aren't the story" school of journalism, look professional, but don't distract from the information you are presenting. I have problems with McAfee wearing tank tops too. I don't watch enough "desk shows" to know what the typical dress code is for TV work these days, maybe its loosened up a bunch.
    For the record, not a fan of male show hosts looking like slobs either.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She has said in interviews that she sees herself as more of an entertainer than a journalist.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good for her. Very few on-air sports television personalities are honest enough to admit it.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What does any SportsCenter host do anything close to journalism? They read a teleprompter and smile.They don't do pieces or interviews like people in national and local news.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not just sports. They'll do it when they're caught in a tough spot and try to weasel out of it. Exhibit A: Rush Limbaugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted