1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reportedly hiring beat writers for all 32 teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JimmyK, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, if you're writing features for the website or the magazine, you were probably scouted and recommended by someone...

The blogger jobs or the beat writer jobs are largely based on recommendations by people who follow the stuff on a regular basis. It's not eactly a reach to take Todd Archer from the DMN and hire him to do the same job for ESPN Dallas.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Especially since Barry Vigoda, the guy in charge of the ESPN Dallas startup (and still the ESPND managing editor) was hired away from the Dallas Morning News. It is not a coincidence that the ESPND lineup includes former DMNers Archer, Calvin Watkins, Jean-Jacques Taylor, Tim MacMahon, Richard Durrett, etc.

3. Stopping By

Stopping By New Member

Anyone know how many hires have been made yet? Considering training camp is around the corner you would figure ESPN would have some ready to go by now.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I was just wondering the status of this myself. Haven't heard of any hires, which seems odd.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent. And you are interested in a job in which you are expected to call or ask questions of people you may not know every day. Being a wallflower isn't going to impress anyone.

This goes for any reporting job. Walking the line between being persistent and a pest is a skill.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know at least one has been made. I suspect there have been several more. The one I know - and I'll keep quiet for now - is a very good hire. They're not messing around.

7. Mizzougrad96

There are a few openings that are popping up that I think most are assuming are related to the ESPN hires...

8. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Does anyone have a rundown of who ESPN already has covering teams? I think it would be interesting to see both that and which openings have yet to be filled.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Is Mike Wells, of the Indy Star, heading to ESPN to cover the Colts? https://twitter.com/mg_indy/status/357633488213655552

10. accguy

accguy Member

I know at least one other person currently on a newspaper beat has been hired by ESPN to cover the team he/she is currently covering.

11. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Opening at Green Bay paper is based off a move to ESPN

12. Mizzougrad96

I congratulated one of the guys and he said, "Thanks, but I'm not supposed to talk about it yet."

Draft saved Draft deleted