1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Britt McHenry is Not Nice....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 16, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Quit talking reason and common sense.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I live in the world in which this is how these things work. In my neck o' the woods, when your car winds up in the impound lot through no fault of your own -- i.e., in a situation exactly as you describe it -- there are procedures in place to ensure that you don't have to pay for these things. Now, is it all rainbows and unicorns? No. You gotta fill out these forms in triplicate and do all sorts of affidavits and the like. And you gotta deal with the bureaucracy and all that that implies.

Apparently you'd set it up such that if someone's car winds up in the impound lot, all he or she has to do is say, "Hey, it was stolen!" and the gates would just magically open and the people who paid for the towing (and maintain the impound lot) would say, "Hey, this one's on us!"

But I have it in my head that your little dream world would turn out to be a nightmare ...

3. doctorquant

Well, she's a guy ... and she works for State Farm.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

State Farm, eh? She's probably toothless.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll bet it was a really bad pooning and she was already in a bad mood because of it. Nothing worse for a woman I'm sure than lowering her obviously high standards to go home with a guy only to have him be awful at oral and have a Big 'Ol case of whiskey dick. Guy probably smelled like Jaager and Axe too. A woman who had a much more satisfying night would have been in a somewhat better mood.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Don't knock the Jaager/Axe combo. I've smelled worse things.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are now talking to someone who has written and reviewed tons of RFPs. I'm sure all of you know that to get the tows from the police department, a private company would need to be awarded a contract through the bid process.

Add a line that their will be no charge for recovered stolen vehicles. It's probably 2% of all their tows if they win the bid. They will be more than happy to oblige to get the fat contract.

Problem solved.

Keep blathering on if you want.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All those degrees and now RFPs?

Everybody please, respect the big cheese!

YankeeFan and doctorquant like this.
  9. doctorquant

Yeah, sure. That's the way it works. One line in the contract with the city takes care of everything.

Pretty sure you just outed yourself as someone who's never actually been within 100 feet of one of these contracts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No way in hell you should have had to pay if you filed a stolen-car report. Particularly if you filed it well before the car was ditched and towed. Every car that's brought to the lot should be checked to see if it was stolen.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Like, ass?
    That's why there are cucumber-scented candles.

12. doctorquant

Just did a quick check ... the towing ordinance in my city (which covers both police and private tows) is 46 pages long and has been amended 14 times since its adoption. Yet it is incomplete in the sense that it refers frequently to my state's occupations licensing code, and the section of that dealing with towing runs an ungodly number of pages long. At the urging of 93Devil and old_tony, however, I am going to lead a fight to have this passage added to each corpus ...

Notwithstanding Subsections a-jj, a licensed tow operator shall waive all towing and storage fees when any vehicle owner in compliance with all safety and financial responsibility requirements, certifies that his or her vehicle was towed as the end result of a theft. Such can be certified by the presentation of an active case number provided by a state or municipal investigative peace officer. In the event such a case number cannot be presented, licensed tow operators shall likewise waive towing and storage frees if the owner enters into either a "Cross My Heart and Hope to Die" or a "Pinky Swear/Pinky Promise" oath. Said oaths shall not be required to be notarized, but a licensed oath verifier shall ensure that no invocation of the "Crossed My Fingers" addendum has been attempted. Tow operators shall post, in a prominent location, fees for oath verification, said fees not to exceed the smaller of: 1) statutory limits as posted in the State Occupations Code Chapter 2803; or 2) the towing and storage fees being waived.

Draft saved Draft deleted