1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We loved “Good Will Hunting.”

Remember when Chuckie pretended to be Will’s agent? That killed me. Old Chuckie.

2. Dick Whitman

And not for nothing, but it has been noted that the casting couch is a long-standing phenomenon in the industry. This isn’t the Vatican.

3. Dick Whitman

And the one Weinstein accuser was dressed like a whore.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5 bucks says Punky Brewster's making a claim by Friday.

Mr. Warnimont was one pervy motherfucker.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

Here’s what I think: I think that the writers and editors making the decisions about how to characterize these incidents base those decisions, whether consciously or subconsciously, on whether they like the accused. Does this seem like someone who would commit assault? Harassment?

I think that partially explains the ensuing reactions here. But what is also driving it is that this is a board of journalists and ex-journalists circling the wagons. These are decisions made by journalists. Thus, we shall extend them the benefit of the doubt. That way, we don’t even need to think too hard about it. If someone questions these decisions, instead of defending the decisions just bring up the fact that they repair coffee machines or practice law (in the suburbs, OMG) or teach math.

It’s a version of the Blue Code of Silence.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If H.W. had been an enthusiastic Trump supporter, rather than a critic, would the coverage be different?

I say it would be.

8. Dick Whitman

Someone grabs Hillarie Burton’s breast without consent on live television. But let’s not call him Ben Affleck. Let’s call him Kid Rock.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The more interesting hypothetical to me is, what happens if the GHWB accusations come out pre-Weinstein?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not quite. I think most journalists pride themselves on being message board/social media liberals, and, as such, defend the reporting of these cases because it fits into their worldview. It would additionally be true of Affleck, were he accused.

All that said, your paradigm is now obsolete.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here you go @Dick Whitman, we're going to have to reexamine everything:

12. Dick Whitman

I think someone on this board might have even said that (but in jest).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.